Magazine recommendations

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonsteam

Reaction score
What magazines would you recommend for the beginner? Are there any with plans and tips geared at the person just starting out? Thanks for all the help with the model 6, it is now up and running!

Home Shop Machinist
Live Steam
Model Engineer
Model Engineers Workshop

This is a great way to learn, I've got probably thousands of issues of the above, some going back to the 30's. Its a great way to learn because aside from the basic knowledge, through serialized articles you get someone who knows what they are doing walking you through how to machine various parts and some of the engineering behind it. Text books are great but don't give you that. You don;t have to actually build the thing to learn a great deal from these mental, virtual builds - heck you don't even need to own machine tools for the learning to start. I've stood on the soapbox many times suggesting practitioners develop a decent library (journals and books) as the most effective way to accelerate skills - I hope you find the same!

I have been getting Model Engineer's Workshop for about 18 months and now subscribe to it.
What I have noticed is that as I gain more experience, I tend to go back over older copies and read articles that didn't interest me at the time, because I couldn't appreciate them back then.

Rgds

Mcgyver,
by chance You would not have Tubal Cain's Book " Simple Workshop Devices ".
He has a fixture in there "How to machine Eccentres.
Hilmar

I don't have that book Hilmar - is it for the triple?

edit. ok, its come back me vaguely, Tubal's fixture. i did it differently but will start a new thread on it

Not really. Just wanted to see what he is talking about.
I made the Jig for the eccentrics today. Hopefully will make them over the weekend
Hilmar javascript:void(0);Grin

i just took some pics and will post them in another thread on my fixture, just for interest sake

In addition to the other recommendations here is one from me.

Its an American magazine but deals with model engines. In fact its called Model Engine Builder and they give free plans in every issue. You can buy all of the back issues as well. They are very friendly and I am just completing the building a Mills Diesel which was the free plan for the first issue and is an engine described as suitable for beginners. Here's the link http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/. You can see my engine under the view models section on this website or http://www.mikes-models.com/ccmillsmainmenupage.html

Good luck........

Latest posts

Back