Machinist's Jacks?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky961

Reaction score
I've seen many references to machinist's jacks being a good project to start with on the lathe. I agree, these are simple things that allow you to practice a few skills... BUT:

I have yet to see them in use!

I've considered the idea of using three of them under a piece to be milled, allowing the top side to be tilted very precisely, or leveled completely, but the stability of such a setup is concerning to me.

I'd love to see a few photos of how and where to use them. Maybe then I'll be convinced to whip up a few. :)

Thanks..
-Brian

they're one of those things that see infrequent use, but they do get used I've got half a dozen I’ve picked up over the yeas and bet I could go the next ten without using the same one twice :p. in my case mostly for supporting overhangs in the vise etc. if the mill's table is level they're more useful in set ups (maybe there's all kinds of uses i haven't thought of??).

imo, overall they're more important in completing a tool collection than the functionality gained; unless you're setting up larger pieces or already have everything else. Then again nothing wrong with collecting tools :D

Ayup, primarily for supporting overhung work to prevent deflection. Although, I'll admit to having (mis)used mine occasionally as a spreader or even to clamp weird woodworking projects (the only kind I do).

They're a staple practice piece for first year machining classes which probably accounts for their presence in so many tool boxes.

If you ever really need one, a threaded remnant, a bolt and a nut will work just fine. If you want a useful beginning project, build a die holder for your lathe. You'll use that a lot more than a jack.

I use one 4 or 5 times a year. Sometimes they just a Leeeetle too tall. I should make a shorter set to suit my peculiar needs. ;D

Thanks all for the input. I'll put it at the bottom of my todo list. Considering that it always grows and never shrinks, I'll never get to building these. :)

So, if my idea for a 3-point support using these jacks isn't necessarily the best, how would you support a piece where the side facing the table was rather odd-shaped?

To that effect, I'd love if someone could point me to "1001 ways to hold work on a lathe and mill". :) This is one of my greatest challenges. Is it supposed to be?

-Brian

sparky961 said:
To that effect, I'd love if someone could point me to "1001 ways to hold work on a lathe and mill". :) This is one of my greatest challenges. Is it supposed to be?

-Brian

The problem is that YOUR job will need way number 1002.

Instead of making jacks I milled a couple pieces of CRS the same thickness as my vice. They've been somewhat handy in a pinch. Mostly they just take up space in the toolbox or end up being a paper weight.

I have a Bridgeport size mill and have a standard set of step blocks with 1/2-13 studs for clamping things to the table tee slots. I just use the studs and put a clamp nut on one end and either a clamp nut or a coupling nut on the other end and adjust to height. I normally put the clamp nut on upside down so the smooth working face is against the work piece or table. Since my shortest stud is taller than the bed of my vice, I faced the head of a couple of short 1/2-13 bolts so the head was smooth and use one of them with a clamp nut or coupler nut for shorter support.
Gail in NM, USA

Back