Machining neodymium magnets

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm, PURLOIN ??? , don't you mean BORROW :big: :big: :big:

BC1
Jim

Dave,

I had an experience with a couple of rare earth magnets that where several inches apart. They came together and one shattered. It was real fun getting all the little bits off the one that was still good. (they where sharp little buggers).

I think like bogs, grinding may be the best option, but you'll have to deal with all the magnetic filings

Or check out "A" in this link

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=45088&cat=1,42363,42348&ap=2

Hope this helps,

Philly

Philly

Thanks for the link.

I am presently at 'work' out in Saudi Arabia and have plenty of available time to occupy. During some of this time I dream up all sorts of projects for when I get home - few if any ever seem to materialise due to calls on my time from SWMBO.

One such scheme was to build a small generator. Somewhere I had seen plans for one that used a shaped alnico magnet as the pole pieces. I couldn't find any suitable alnico magnets, so then wondered about rare earth magnets - hence the initial query.

Dave
The Emerald Isle - well, one day.

I machine NdFeB every day. You can grind it with a conventional or diamond wheel. The conventional will wear more, but you might get lesss chipping. You cannot remove too much stock at once. Use a lot of coolant because the dust is combustible and there will be a lot of sparks. The dust is NOT good for you. You also must add some type of protective coating as mentioned by someone else, Neodymium breaks down quickly - no matter how you treat it. A protective coating will slow the process - but make sure the magnet is completely dried before coating or you will end up with rusty junk very soon. Neo rusts extremely fast - keep it dry when not machining.

Latest posts

Back