Looking for marine triple expansion engine plans with reverse

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majorstrain

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm on the lookout for some plans of a triple expansion marine engine like the Liberty ship engines. (vertical column type)
I have a preference for bar stock, but a casting type plan would be ok. The initial model would be a small display engine, but I'm not ruling out one for a steam launch in the years to come.

Cheers
Phil

Phil,

Elliott Bay carries a set of castings for a triple at approximately 9HP

The plans leave something to be desired....but they have been built as a friend of mine has one.

Reliable steam engine company also makes a triple for sale and they sell the plans seperately...about 7 HP

http://members.pioneer.net/~carlich/RSE/RSEengines.html

neither is a project for the faint of heart......they are a lot of work and need a boiler with 180 psig capability.

There are also compounds and singles with these companies.

Additionally, I have a couple of friends who are building Hasbrouck engines which are bar stock engines

http://hasbrouck.8m.com/index.htm

but are singles and doubles. Though I hear tell of another being built up as a compound........but I woun't let that cat out of the bag...yet.

Dave

Cole's has drawings for the Stuart triple expansion. I think the current price is $54.00.
gbritnell

Thanks Dave and gbritnell for your replies,
I think that I'll try the Stuart triple first. If after looking at the plans I can do it out of bar stock, I'll try that.
The Elliott Bay triple looks gr8 for the full size project (20 - 25 footer, mmmmm!).
That will come a bit later (read retirement)
Now just got to work out a way to bring that forward. Maybe 45 :big:
Cheers
Phil

PS. The Stuart web site has some good info on slide valve timing for the triple.

ianjkirby said:
Hi Phil,
Ernie Winter lists in his catalogue the following;

No. 9 Triple Expansion Engine 7/8x1 1/4x1 3/4x1 1/4stroke - plans $31.85, castings $1,276.53

Look in

http://www.ejwinter.com.au/catalogue.htm

under "Stationary Engines"

Regards, Ian.

Thanks Ian,
An Australian supplier will be very handy.
I eagerly await the arrival of his catalog that I just ordered ;D.
The same can not be said of my long suffering wife , I'm already behind on the babies room and only six weeks left :rant: :hDe:.
Phil

Well I ordered a book a couple of weeks ago recommended by John, 'A Manual of Machine Drawing and Design' by D.A. Low and A.W.Bevis. It arrived today. ;D
380 pages of good info that covers all mechanical design and a good set of drawings for a triple in the last chapter. Very happy, thanks John. :bow: and for only $4 USD

What really surprised me was the age of the book, I was expecting a 1930's era or maybe a more recent reprint.
Well it's 110 years old :eek: and still in good nick.
The sixth 'impression' dated 1899. Owned by William Malone. S.S. Egypt ,Feb 16th 1900

No real reason to share this other than I got a bit excited woohoo1 because I like old stuff, and this is the oldest thing I have ever owned.

Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil,

This is not a 'mine's better than yours!' post, but I too have a copy of the same book, 4th edition, dated 1896. I have been collecting old engineering texts for quite some years now, and its always a hoot to find these old volumes. I love the smell you get when opening these old books and sticking your nose right in for a good sniff!!
Regards, Ian. ;)

This is not a 'mine's better than yours!' post, but I too have a copy of the same book, 4th edition, dated 1896. I have been collecting old engineering texts for quite some years now, and its always a hoot to find these old volumes. I love the smell you get when opening these old books and sticking your nose right in for a good sniff!!
Regards, Ian. ;)

Hi Ian,
No offense taken.
Just had a good sniff of the book myself, I have some WW2 bubble sextants that smell similar. Don't know what it is, but something that smells this nice must be toxic. ;D

Now it's time to CAD up the drawings and scale them down. Hmmm, I feel a triple coming on ;)

Take care
Phil

Back