Looking for info/advice on Stringer EW lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruaidhri

Reaction score
Hi from warm sunny Dublin :mad:

As mentioned elsewhere I've been turning wood since the world was still flat, but only about two years with metal - Myford Super 7 (stuck on a gearbox and taper turning attachment etc).

Lately a buddy gave me a pressie of a Stringer EW lathe. Not actually bashed about, but lying in a workshop for millenia. Fine coating of rust and sawdust (he is also a woodturner).

Most of the parts were in two plastic buckets!

Since the snow has kept me from my workshop I (by prior arrangement with SWMBO) brought the poor little thing into the dining room and have started trying to bring it back to life.

The only information I can find is on lathes.co.uk - http://www.lathes.co.uk/ew/index.html - thanks Tony!

Have any of you good folks got one? - know anything about them - got photos ?

Any assistance gratefully received, and progress pics can be provided if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Ruaidhrí

Should have mentioned there's a ton of other stuff there, but nothing private - so feel free to have a good old poke about :)

R

Hi again Pat :)

Thanks for the nice compliments!!
Co-incidentally I was teaching some of my "Advanced" students (I teach some night classes in turning) how to strike and chase threads in bone last night. Very amusing to see their faces when I produced a plastic bag full of well boiled shin bones (cow) as the night's material :D

I suggested to the principal that perhaps we should re-define the classes as "Wood and Cow Turning Classes".
On a cold snowy winter evening it's easy to get a laugh!

As to the Stringer, I think I have most - if not all - the bits. Luckily so far SWMBO is content to have me work on the dining room table (tons of newspaper!!). While the workshop is directly attached to the house, I have never gotten around to heating it, so this at least is keeping me sane (Sheila would not agree with that last statement LOL)

Hopefully someone out in cyberland will have a Stringer up and running, 'cos I'd really love to be able to have a chat about its inevitable foibles.

Cheers for now,
Ruaidhrí
OH, and Yes - I have been making pens for yonks. I am (for my sins) on the Admin Team on www.fountainpennetwork.com and we have a forum there on pen making and repair that may be of interest :)

Ruaidhrí: welcome to the board . looks like a nice little lathe. similar to a Taig but a bit beefier and a few more features.
The orphans are sometimes a challenge but fun to work on .
I have set up and worked on one of these for a friend and turned one into a small cnc http://www.lathes.co.uk/machinex/
Looks like Tony has quite a bit of info on your lathe.
Tin

Back