• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Logan 10"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjones

Reaction score
There is a Logan 10" totally refurbished for sale in my local area. I'm waiting for some more information on the bed length and tooling etc. but they are asking 1750.00 for it. That seems high (comparables I have found off forums and ebay are from 400-1000) unless I'm wrong which is why I'm asking, anyone have a Logan 10" or something comparable and know what they should go for? I don't want to insult the guy by low balling him but I also don't want to overpay. This will be my first lathe so sorry for any future newbie responses from me.

For reference I sold a 10" Logan a couple years ago, on a cabinet stand, in very good original condition with 3 Jaw chuck, steady rest, QC (import) tool post, drill chuck and a few other minor items for $1,400. It was a very nice lathe! It is very easy to recommend the Logan over the South Bend 9" (I have owned both) hands down. Another good point is that Logan is still supporting the equipment.
Brad

A lot depends on your locations, but here in North Texas (DFW) a really nice US-made lathe can easily fetch $2000.
One as you describe, beautifully restored and painted, well-tooled, is listed recently for $2500. That's a bit high, but $2000 would probably buy it.
I sold a nice unrestored 9" Logan last year for $1200, very quickly.

If it's a nice restoration, and not just a paint job, it may be worth it. It would have to have a QC gearbox.

Two big things to consider.

A model 200 with change gears is worth a lot less than a model 1825 with quick change and cabinet mounted. A lot of other models, before the 200 and in between the 200 and 1825. Even the 1825 has improvements in the later serial numbers.

Was the refurbishing a rebuild or a rattlecan job. A worn bed and saddle will double the cost of that lathe if you have to have it reground and scraped.

Over the last forty years, I have had a Boxford (bought new), two Southbends, and two Logans. For hobby work, I have found them all comparable and liked them more or less depending on the model and the condition.

It's a model 820 with QCG, wired 110. It looks like it's in excellent shape, not much for tooling though, original wrenches, drill chuck, tool holder and some cutting bits. I'm check if it has a 3-jaw or 4-jaw chuck. He offered that if I buy it at full price that he has a complete replacement headstock for it he would throw in. Any ideas on what's fair? I'm going to go take a look at it as soon as I can, any advice is appreciated!

Mr Jones.

I think the price is a little high but if on the other hand it’s an outstanding refurbishment I would not be so quick to turn my head, then it would have to have all the goodies and especially a qc BOX for me to break out the check book.

I stumbled on a Logan 200 two years ago for $200 it was loaded, but the real value was the lathe its self, first time I have ever used a Logan and let me say its my go-to lathe in the shop for quality and ease of use, in fact it has become my most prized machine in all my inventory, I cannot praise the Logan enough.

Hope it all goes well for you if so good luck with your first lathe. Anthony.

Mr Jones.
Well. You posted as I did and I just read it.

Well! I don’t think it’s a deal, I look at it this way if you were to part it out piece by piece could you get your money back or get close to within 75% and in this case it’s no.
The head stock as a throw in tell me there were problems, other than dealers who has a complete headstock on the shelf? I don’t.

If all was equal and lets say the lathe just on its own was near mint its worth in mho $1000, so you have $750 adrift, then that would be eaten up quick with accessories.

Hope this helps… Anthony.

I think it is high priced for an 820. I had an 820 and broke a lot of carbide tools when the flat belt slipped. If the lathe is in excellent condition, it is a good lathe but for that price it should be well tooled. I would consider an 1825 (V belt underdrive on a cabinet) at that price.

The headstock is fitted to the lathe, so I hope the original headstock is on the lathe. The spare headstock is just spare parts that are available of ebay almost all the time from people who part them out. With reasonable care, you will never need any parts.

I took a look at it and it does look pretty nice. The ways are pretty clean until you get to the headstock. There are some dings the last foot or so but nothing severe. It had a few chipped teeth which is why he has a rebuilt headstock. He doesn't want to move on the price though so based on the feedback here I will keep looking. Thanks for the help gents!

Latest posts

Back