Lil Brother/Meissner Spark intensifier

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickhann

Reaction score
Hi, I am mostly a lurker, but I recently finished (sans paint) Lil Brother by Paul Breisch. As I suspect, I had the same problems that most builders experience in getting a "hit & miss" engine to run. Starting with a few "pops" to a 5 second run and gradually longer runs. I thought I had all the problems solved after several 5 to 10 minute runs. then nothing. I noticed when I would pull the plug wire to check for spark that there would be a spark and the engine would fire, but not when I reconnected the wire to the spark plug. Apparently my plug was somewhat fouled. To make a long story short a quick internet search turned up information on a spark intensifier by George Meissner from the early 1900's. I put one together using a 1/4" glass tube and a couple of pointed screws and the results were beyond my expectations. A couple of turns of the flywheel and it came to life immediately. The spark was clearly visible in the glass tube and the engine ran perfectly. I have 2 questions. Have any of you had similar experiences with "spark intensifiers", not modern electronic ones, but turn of the century technology? Secondly, what kind of wire do you use for the coil to the plug?

Rick

Regarding wire, I've had pretty good luck using silicone covered wire. Silicone wire seems to have the right amount of flex and the covering seems to provide the right amount of insulation. I especially like test lead wire. I get mine from Radio Shack. I'm sure though there's lots of different types of wire that would work as well.

Latest posts

Back