Lathe Knife Tool and Boring Tool Sharpening

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

workshopman

Reaction score
Whilst it was my intention to publish one video a week, I have decided that I would like to bring the process to an earlier conclusion. Primarily, so that I can spend the summer without the need to spend time updating my website for each one, and advertising the video on around 15 forum.

Therefore, this week, I am making two videos available, also doing this until all the videos have been published in early May.
The videos this time are.

Lathe Knife Tool Sharpening and lathe Boring Tools Sharpening, links to both can be found here, http://www.homews.co.uk/page145.html

Harold

Thank you for your erudite description of 'How it is done'

One point is very important and may not be covered in your books. It would help those following on to achieve similar results and that is the specification, grit size, bond and whatever of your white wheel.

Shamefully, mine date from a point in the Dark Ages and may not be obtainable now.

Thanks

Norman

Sorry goldstar31 / Norman for having been slow in replying to your question about the wheel grade, etc.

The data is in my book regarding sharpening workshop tools but am happy to give you the details here.

The wheel is a white wheel WA60 KV1 To expand on the the meanings of the letters is as follows.

W white
A aluminium oxide
60 grain size
K grade, often referred to as hardness, it is though the strength of the grip between the grains
V bond, vitrified
I a suppliers extra marking.

When purchasing a wheel it may be found necessary to purchase one with slight differences, the suppler should be able to help.

As to information on my videos I have only included the physical process but not going as far as, machine speeds, material grades, etc. However, you have prompted me to consider a video showing how I adapted a standard grinder to take wheels suitable for tool grinding. If I did that then perhaps I could include some detail on the wheels used.

Harold

My thanks for the detail. I am quite sure that there will be many others who will also welcome the information.

I never got around to making your grinding tool for many reasons. Now I am getting into a state where I felt that my old wheels might be suspect and I should sensibly go out and do a complete replacement.

I've got a set of wheels which date back to Ivan Laws stuff for the Quorn and the Kennet grinders.

Again my thanks

Norman

It's nice to see a kind and civilized conversation on a forum. At other places there seem to be people who enjoy causing conflict.

We need more positive role models. Thanks

Thanks DJP
I fully agree, having been on the receiving end of some in the last few days. I have though received apologies from senior members of the forum involved .
Harold

Latest posts

Back