Lathe Alingment tolerance

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzie46

Reaction score

I am adjusting my new Grizzly 10 x 22 and have a succeeded in getting the vertical and horizontal spindle axis within .002 at 15 in. from spindle.

I put a .625 bar that is from a discarded printer and machined to very fine tolerances in a collet mounted in the spindle. I then mounted 2 dial indicators on the cross slide and compound slide and zeroed it at the spindle chuck, then ran it out to 15 in.s and got it to within .002 thou. both vertical and horizontaly.

My question is, is this ok or should I try to get it closer?

I read that at 12 inch the runout would be 0,0006 , while the same bar near the headstoch would have a runout of 0,0003

but this is almost perfection ozzie, I would be very happy if my lathe would have the runout of yours :)

You can spend an entire day dialing a machine into a perfect condition.
Tomorrow the ambient temperature and humidity will change.
The machines alignment will as well.

A machine tool is like a wife.
Their moods change without prior notice.
:hDe:
Rof}

Rick

Ozzie, if you are making parts for NASA, keep adjusting. If you are making models, get going. Most of us would be tickled to be that close.

Thanks Ariz, Rick and Arv.

I'll button it up and do a test cut after checking the tail stock center. No sense chasing my tail. :big: :big:

Ron

Latest posts

Back