Lamina Flow or is Thermo Acoustic engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart3

Reaction score

A 7/8" od graphite piston in stainless steel cylinder which is attached to glass tube using heat shrink tubing. Stainless steel scrub material in end of glass tube. Area of heat shrink tube is protected by water.

[youtube=425,350]PNLL_ZOpFpU[/youtube]

Ghart....
Nice looking engine you have there. Mind sharing where you found the glass test tube?

Steve

Steve, not sure where had got the glass tube. Probably at a flea market or something like that, sure didn't buy new. Sorry not much help. gary

Ghart -That is a wonderful running engine. Thank you for sharing!

Steve - American Science and Surplus has test tubes (and LOTS of other stuff) for reasonable prices. Check out:
http://www.sciplus.com/index.cfm and search for "test tube".

Well done Ghart, what are you using for fuel please?

John

Ghart

Pardon ma ignorance, messieur,
but isn't this a stirling?

if not what is the difference?

there are several heat engines
a Stirling has a moving displacer linked to the power cylinder. A ringbohm is similar but IIRC there is no mechanical link beween the power side and displacer. with the engine here only the power cylinder moves so there are fewer moving parts than a Stirling.
Tin

John, the fuel is alcohol. The reason for the yellow flame is cause had just cleaned the burner and had got polishing compound on the wick by being sloppy.

Tin, thanks for explaining engine as I'm not sure of definition of Stirling engine.
Gary

I'm no authority but I've always assumed that a Stirling engine has a displacer - mechanically operated in a conventional Stirling and pressure operated in a Ringbom.

The laminar flow engine has only a piston and regenerator. While it's certainly a hot gas engine, I wouldn't call it a Stirling.

Latest posts

Back