Killer sunset in Los Angeles

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChooChooMike

Reaction score
There was a wonderful, actually, pretty darn awesome sunset last night here in Southern California. I shot these (and many more) pictures last nite in Manhattan Beach, CA (just south of LAX airport). All the crap/smoke/ash in the air from the ongoing wildfires contributed to the wonderful color !! Those are 2 tug boats floating out there. This is where oil tankers offload their crude oil into the Chevron refinery in El Segundo.

Album linky : http://picasaweb.google.com/ChooChooMike/Sunset932009?feat=directlink

Mike

sunset01.jpg]

sunset02.jpg

sunset03.jpg

sunset04.jpg

sunset05.jpg

sunset06.jpg

sunset07.jpg

sunset08.jpg]

All the smoke in the upper atmosphere from the L.A. wildfires will do that. I remember when I was a kid back in the fifties and about half of northern Ontario was on fire. ---We had beautifull sunsets then too.----Brian

Hi Andy
Greetings from West Lincs you asked the question about the "Green Flash" well i will try to explain it and put you out of your misery ! when the sun slips slowly downwards to a clear ocean horizon. Ever reddening as it sinks, soon only a thin sliver of the once hot disk is left. Then, as that too shrinks and lessens, it shines forth for just a second in a most vivid emerald green. Then it is gone, only the dark ocean remains. That is the" Green Flash " hope that helps you.
Cheers Paul

Cheers Paul

I have seen loads of sunsets but i cant say i have ever seen the green flash lol (prob too drunk)

regards
Andy

(East Lincs - Grimsby)

Watch out or Marv will kick in with LMGTFY ;)

Many years ago my dad did a year sabbatical at the National Center for Atmospheric Research above Boulder, CO. We used to go by every so often and check out the latest, greatest Cray-1 supercomputer; as always, looking like it was doing about as much as a park bench :-\. But, anyway, they had some exhibit cases with various research projects in them; always cool stuff, mostly involving high-altitude balloons and airplanes and spacecraft and other such things a couple elementary-school boys love (no doubt where I got my fascination for SHCS bolt-circles on stainless steel). I remember once there was an exhibit about the green flash. The researchers had flown around the arctic and 'chased' the green flash so they could observe and photograph it for minutes at a time.

Latest posts

Back