Keep your Reciepts!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So.....a couple of years ago I purchased a new cordless drill. A ridgid 18V. I bought it because we have one at work, and I liked it, so thought I would get the same one.

I drilled many holes in many things (some of which I later wished I hadn't). I liked this drill.

2 years later - I am attempting to build a set of rugged shelves for holding lathe tooling and raw material. The batteries are dead - they won't drill more than 3 holes or put one screw in a piece of lumber before dying.

:rant:

So, I start researching the cost of replacement batteries. Naturally what do I find? I can buy a whole new cordless drill, with a carrying case, and a cordless impact wrench and two batteries for 10 dollars more than the cost of replacing 2 batteries.

In short, replacing the batteries is expensive. I don't NEED a new cordless drill, and I don't need a cordless impact wrench.

:mad: :rant:

So I turn to the interwebz, like you do, and do some searching. I doscover various things about places to repair the batteries, and sources for the LiIon cells so that I can possibly repair them myself.

But then I happen upon a little nugget. Ridgid power tools have a 3 year warranty - including the batteries. :eek:

All you need to do is take the tool and the original receipt to an authorised service center.

:wall:

But.....I am the kind of guy that keeps receipts for a long time. A little bit of searching around and I turn up my receipt from 2 years ago!

Off down the service center, lo and behold, no problem. Ridgid ships me two brand new batteries free of charge! :D

So the moral is - keep your receipts for your stuff. Some warranties are really good - I was surprised to see a 3 year warranty on battery packs, but it does explain the very high replacement price.

Thm:

I expect I'm preaching to the converted here. ;)

Nice tip. I have to replace my dewalt batteries. My DD is 11 years old and my sons is about 8 TO and the batters are failing .

the nice thing is I can get assembled in USA replacement packs for my sons batteries for about half the cost of new batteries. so helps some. take out a couple screws pull out the guts and install the new inards. and away we go for another 5-10 years. by then may be time for a new drill.
Tin

Since I no longer make house calls- retired furniture/ cabinetmaker- as my battery powered tools go belly up, I just replace with corded. Not many issues with power source at all, especially not the battery pack ripoffs.

i don't know what the trend is in radio control right now but about 8 years ago i remember batteries getting very cheap and the cells were available to assemble your own packs. they also sold the copper strips to solder it all together. but as i understand it now they are all using li-poly batteries for airplanes and maybe li-Ion for surface vehicles. which would be good for a diy rebuild of your packs but i don't know if the batteries are still affordable or available in kit form.

I understand that it is quite simple to get the individual cells for these batteries, I was going to locate the source (you can probably get them from batteries plus), but I stopped looking for the source when I discovered the warranty part.

Part of the problem with these battery packs when purchased, is that you are not just buying a bunch of Li Ion cells in a box, there is also a circuit board in the battery pack, which controls the discharge of the battery. ie it prevents you discharging the battery too much - as that is instant death for a Li ion battery. That is why your cordless tools now suddenly stop, rather than starting to wind down. So - basically when buying a totally new battery pack, you have to buy all the moulding and control circuitry, and also pay for the warranty - that is the batteries are priced to allow the tool maker to be profitable even with high battery failure rate. I understand these battery failures are "not uncommon". The guy at the service center made sure to tell me to "hang on to that receipt for another year".

We've gone to li-po's in rc. Way cheaper and way more run time. Used to pay around $60 for a 4-cell pack (racing grade) and you would need 4 packs to run 4 heats. With the li po's we can run all night on one $5 battery..

It's a great tip to keep your receipts (I trust my better half to take care of that) but I recommend actually seeking out and reading the warranty BEFORE you buy something pricey. My chinese lathe started to develop an issue 2 months after I bought it, brand new from a supposedly reputable seller here in Oz, and I couldn't find any warranty info at all with my paperwork. So I contacted the 'reputable seller' and they tell me their warranty is 30 days - on a $850 item!

I'm in dispute with them still and I'm hoping for the best, but I wish I'd researched a bit better before parting with my hard earned $.

We've gone to li-po's in rc. ..

Exactly what I was going to say. Ive soldered more NicD & NimH packs in different configurations for competition that I care to admit. Lithium polymer are so inexpensive & offer energy density we could only dream about a few years ago. Ive also retrofitted cordless drills for friends. Sometimes what I pulled out of 'namebrand' drills was a joke. You could buy a better cell with 3X the maH capacity & much higher discharge rate for 3$/cell. An 18v setup (12 cells @ 1.2v nominal) would cost 36$ in batteries; the replacement packs were going for close to $100 locally & were a fraction the quality. Cell soldering is easy for the part but where you can run into issues is the way they spot weld the charging clip harness/connector directly on teh cell vs a wire harness. I suspect that might be to make retrofits dificult. Ive made Franken-drills with Lipo packs, that wer just stuffed in the NimH pack plastic shell. But I also have the appropriate charging equipment from RC.

Now most tool packs are Lithium chemistry which are much better cells. But you have to be real careful about aftermarket Li* cells & charging. They vary by manufacturer & are fussy about their charging algorithms. If they catch fire, it isn't pretty.

3748.jpg

packs.jpg

Last edited:
The best alternative when replacing old ni-cad batteries is to use nickel metal hydride batteries. There is no need for a special cell balancing charger and they are much more powerful than the ni-cads. There are companies that can convert your existing battery case or convert them yourself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back