Just starting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert1352

Reaction score
Hi all, I am getting a lathe and a few other tools in the next few days and was wondering if someone here would suggest a good project for a complete beginner.Something made out of barstock only.I was thinking about one of the flame lickers, but i'm not sure if that is too much for me right now.Thank you for your input. Robert :big:

Hi Robert; welcome!

If you're like me when I started and have little or no machining experience, I suggest cruising the internet for homemade tooling. Make a list of what you'd like to have and start by making tools for a while. That will save you a lot of money and hone your skills.

If you have experience and tools and are looking for a 1st project, I'd suggest one of the simple "wobbler" engines that'll run on low pressure compressed air. Do a Google search for wobbler engine and also "McCabe's Runner," another simple engine.

Have fun and BE REAL CAREFUL, a lathe can hurt you!

Milton

what do you think about the liney machines? They look pretty straight forward.

Hey Robert...

The Liney machines are great. I haven't built one yet, but I understand he is very supportive. I think his 1 cylinder or 2 cylinder engines would be good for a first.

Consider doing building an Elmer's designed engine. You can join the Yahoo groups and get the plans for free.

Another one to consider is the simple wobbler plans offered by LMS. Found HERE.

What are you getting for tools? What kind of lathe? A mill too? You might want to start learning on some shop made tools.

Anything can be built. There are some really nice complex IC engines out there built by people as their first engine. So really, it is up to you.

Eric

Robert,

If you've never built anything to plans*, you'll find that doing so is a bit harder than one might expect at first glance. It's important that you pick a project simple enough that you stand a reasonable chance of completing it IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME so that you can obtain a sense of accomplishment in order to inspire you to attempt more complex projects. An overly complex first project can be a real initiative killer. Managing your attitude early on is as important as learning to use the tools, IMHO.

Aside: I speak from experience here, having made some mistakes in that regard when I was starting out. It's a long story and I don't want to bore you with it here.

The simplest and most forgiving engine design is a wobbler and I think you should start there. Flame suckers are too complex to build and too finicky to get running to be a good first project. Wait until you've developed your skills a bit before attempting one.

Two other things you can do that will help us to give you more meaningful advice...
First, tell us what sorts of (metal) things you've already built so we can gauge where you stand on the learning curve. Second, amend your profile to include at least some indication of your location. By doing that you may discover that one of the forum members is local and, if so, he may be willing to provide examples, mentoring and assistance. (If you're anywhere near SoCal, I'll be glad to help out.)

----
* as opposed to building something that merely has to fit to an existing object or somehthing that has no critical dimensional contstraints, e.g., a clamp

Robert:
IMHO a simple oscillator or wobbler is a good place to start as is the McCabe runner.
There are several good simple plan sets available on line to choose from .
If you have a hard time finding what you want or like let me know. I can e-mail some stuff to you.
Tin

I agree totally here with Marv.

Make something very simple first, not only will it give you an insight into using your machinery, but also give you the buzz that is required to carry on machining, and wanting to learn and do more. Many people start with too complicated an exercise and it puts them off for life when they make a total b***s of it.

Also, as Marv suggests, get a mentor to show you the way. It is a lot easier than trying to solve problems by yourself that you have never come across before.

The main bit of advice is, enjoy what you are doing.

John

Robert, what the others have already told you is par for what I discovered. I started with the Siamese twin. I got the head finished and pistons then it sat for a almost 2 years because I wasn't sure how to make the crankshaft. However with the help from this board I was able to figure it out and completed shortly after joining the board. Another thing that I finally got over was the fear of screwing up. Hey...if do just go at it again.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

First off I would like to warmly thank all those who took the time to offer there advise,thank you. After reading the various post I'm leaning toward the liney-1. I think it will be a relatively simply build for someone like me who has no experience at all. I was tempted to start with something really complicated ,but after reading everyones opinions I must agree that its more important to start with a project that's really simple and something I can finish in a short period of time. I have had in the past a bad habit of bitting off more than I can chew,and then just giving up in frustration. Thanks again all, I will post pics when I get it completed. Robert.

Robert,

I'll echo everybodys suggestion here. I also like to add that you should start a library of books. The interent is fine for a fast search and retrive of info. But I've seen some info disapper when I went back for more info. I like to suggest the Bedside Reader series from Guy Lautard. You'll find him on the net.
Elmers Engine book as mentioned above is good if you can find one. The Yahoo group has those as mentioned above.

A note to Administrators. Can we as a group come up with a design that can be placed here somewere that we can point a person to, such as Robert, and say here try this? It would save the newbies countless hours of surfing the net. Just a suggestion mind you. Perhaps this deserves it's own thread.

Regards,
Bernd

I can do that!

As Tin has already suggested the McCabe Runner is an excellent first engine!

Prof. Nial McCabe has given me permission to link to his site at the
County College of Morris Engineering Tech Department, Randolph, N.J

His designs are intended to teach his engineering students basic operational design.
As a bonus to us, they are confidence building first engines for the beginner builder.

The McCabe Runner

Prof. McCabe's Main Site

Rick

Rick,

That's one neat site. I liked that first project he has listed. A vise for the min-mill. Now I can turn the whole table into a vise if I need to. Really neat idea. Amazing whole simple that idea is.

Bernd

I too agree with Marv and others here - glad you're picking an engine that's a reasonable starting project. I made that same beginner mistake - bit off more than I could chew on when starting my first engine. Wound up putting it aside for almost 2 years while I worked on basic machining skills. I went back to that engine (PM Research wobbler) and finished it a year ago. Still needs some fine tuning, but does run !

>>> Liney machines

They're a good choice too - I have finished all the parts for their RV-1 engine - now have to polish them up and fit them together and give it some air :)

http://lineymachine.googlepages.com/

Back