Is this drill press worth fixing up?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deferr

Reaction score
I currently only have a lathe. I am looking for a drill press as my next item to buy. I found this one for $25 on craigslist. It looks rusty but nice and heavy. Any thoughts?

3k23o33l65Q55X15R4b4k58e8a5b3bfa0194e.jpg

If the motor works and the spindle and chuck run true it'll be fine. Just put a wire brush in a hand drill and wipe that rust away. Then wipe some oil on it to prevent the rust returning.

I wouldn't buy it when H-F sells the current version of that drill press on sale for $49 regularly.

I've found other drill presses like that in good shape for the same money.

I agree. that just a generic Chinese drill press.
Might as well buy new when they are that cheap.

Those show up on Cl frequently for $75-$150 :eek:

For $25, it's hard to go wrong. Absolute worst-case... throw a wire brish, biffing wheel, sanding drum in it, and dedicate it for imprecise or messy jobs.

Cheap drill presses can become decent tools. The Chinese chucks are getting better, and the bearings aren't bad. I took a "Guardian" brand drill press once, and with a spare VFD kicking around, converted it to dial-a-speed. Kind of like dressing up a pig, but I use it all the time! I really like it. One of the problems of small bench drills are lack of HP, and the conversion fixed that. It'll plow through metal with a 1/2" drill without stalling.

vfdp0207.jpg

My though is that for $25. you have a drill press. It may not be up to the quality of machine you want so plan on upgrading in the future when something better comes along. When you do upgrade you should be able to get your money back so you have had the use of a drill press for free.

If the Craigs List drillpress works, including the chuck opening and closing, spindle turns, motor runs, I would go ahead and buy it, but see if you can talk the guy down 5 or 10 dollars. Then, save your pennies for a nice, floor model drillpress somewhere down the road.

Chuck

For 25 bills you gonna haggle? Grab it and run! Looks identical to the little Taiwanese one I bought 30+ years ago - done, by my estimation, well over 2 million holes and still going strong.

Buy it, use it. When you eventually get something better take the motor off this one and use the rest of the drill press as a tapping stand.

Back