Is this an antique, benchtop, micro, column mill?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

Reaction score
I went to a tool sale Saturday hoping to find a lathe. I didn't, but I did find what seems to be the bottom of small mill. As is, it stands 10" tall, and the bed is 15" long. I cannot find any indication of who made it, but it's nicely done: It has the feel of commercial piece rather than a one-off craftsman piece. But then, a machinist would do that for his own use also.

Knowing next to nothing about metalworking machines, I have several questions:

Is it a mill?
If so, would you know of a picture of a similar one so that I could see what it looked like?

Is it worth fixing and using -- I'm not looking for much capacity as I'm hoping to buy a micro lathe such as the Taig or Sherline.

If not, does it go to the dump or is there another use for it?
My garage is already too full of just interesting things.
I already got my $20 worth by taking it apart and cleaning it - I saw how it's made.

Thank you for any informatior or comments that you can offer.

Very respectfully,
Larry
Northern Virginia

DSCN2080.jpg

It looks like a positioning slide of some nature, might have been a component of a larger machine. It appears to adjust in three axis (X(L/R), Y(In/Out), and Z(up/down) but may also swing about Z . neat little piece and appears well made
Wayne

Larry,

Well, it looks like a positioner for a 3D pantograph - like an old Gorton maybe. There are photos of those old machines on the internet - you may find something similar.

BillC

Wayne,

You cannot see it in that view, but there is a key to try to keep the head from rotating. There is also a precision clamp -- quarter turn locks it. But, with the moment arms, I question what it would do under load.

Bill,

Thanks, I'll search under that.

From the $25 price, and the fact that it sat around awhile even at that price, I infer that it's not a culturally significant piece. But it's a neat unit that I'd be uncomfortable tossing in the dumpster. So. . . . .

I think that I'll modify it: cut the reduced dia. section from the column, cut the column to several inches, drill and tap the new bottom, and take the casting that interfaces to the column and have someone mill the bottom down to provide a flat mounting surface. I can then bolt the column to a plate and screw several square sections along either side of the casting with screws to adjust and lock the head into position. That's all pretty straight forward. Then make a gantry to hold a spindle and I'll have a bench top mill. I hope.

Thank you for your replies.

Very respectfully,
Larry

Its for a surface grinder, I have seem something exactly the same on a old B&S

Dave

looks like it would make a nice tool sharpening table for the bench grinder
Pete

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS, BUT i like it. :shrug:

Ian

I'm inclinde to think it's part of some measuring instrument...the slides are kind of light for cutting metal

Dave

Latest posts

Back