Inexpensive Work Bench

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by 44-henry, Jul 4, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Jul 4, 2018 #1

44-henry

44-henry

44-henry

Work benches don't have to be expensive. I found this old, solidly built kitchen cabinet. After minor repairs and painting I placed a 2" thick piece of maple that had been someone's kitchen island. I trimmed it down to size and to cover up what remained of a sink cutout on one end I inletted a 2" section of angle iron. The top was sanded and covered with a floor varnish to finish it off. I have $55 total invested in the project, which was spent on the base and top which I found on Craigs List This is considerably less than what I would have spent on materials for the base alone. I was able to use paint and finish left over from other projects which helped keep the costs down.

Attached Files:

wespete66, amphib735 and Cogsy like this.
  2. Jul 4, 2018 #2

kuhncw

kuhncw

kuhncw

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Nicely done.

Chuck

3. Jul 4, 2018 #3

DJP

DJP

DJP

Consider changing the drawer slides to ball bearing side rails. Those drawers will eventually collect lots of tooling which is extra weight. My lathe stand with wooden drawers and doors needed reinforcing over the years.

Typically kitchen cabinets did not have a backing panel so this is an opportunity to make a robust one from heavy plywood. When moving the lathe to a new position in my shop the cabinet takes a lot of twisting stress as each end is jacked up on rollers. It's very top heavy.

My observations for your consideration.

It's good to see reuse in action.

4. Jul 5, 2018 #4

ShopShoe

ShopShoe

ShopShoe

Absolutely I can recommend the ball-bearing slides. And go for the full-extension type because every time you close the drawer every small thing slides to the back.

--ShopShoe

5. Jul 8, 2018 #5

MRA

MRA

MRA

The heavy drawers under my lathe run wood-on-steel-angle - and work a lot better now they're soaked in oil. Nice unit - I'd like something like that for my kitchen :)