I stole a lathe!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CMS said:
Nice lathe score, but I think that I like the big MF's in the background just as much. Craig
We tried, but we couldn't have them on the trailer ;D

I got another bargain the other night, a heidenhain interpolation box on eBay Germany, winning bit 12,50 EUR or about 16 USD

KGrHqZnkE63Ug-DYBPDiKCfsnQ60_12.jpg

It's been a while since last update, i started with removing the rust from the bedways, it was easier than i had feared, then i removed the cover of the headstock, to find out there was very little oil, and a lot of molycote grease

DSC02985.jpg

DSC02953.jpg

I took the middle shaft of the gearbox out to gain access to the bottom, i removed all grease and oil, and found out the seals (drive shaft and tumbler shaft) was very hard, and one were cracked, and that one was under normal oil level, no wonder they couldn't keep the oil in.
I bought new seals and o-rings for the entire gearbox, but being in a metric part of the world, i had to buy metric seals, i found some that required very little altering to fit.
When i cleaned the shaft and gears, i discovered one of the gears was loose on the shaft, the key and keyway was worn so that the gear could turn a couple of degrees, i bet that would be noisy when making interfered cuts!

DSC02954.jpg

DSC02950.jpg

I made a wider slot in the shaft, and a wider key was turned and grinded, the gear wasn't worn, so i milled the top side of the key to fit the gear.

DSC02961.jpg

DSC02964.jpg

DSC02966.jpg

DSC02973.jpg

DSC02975.jpg

DSC02978.jpg

My son cleaned up the frame, and that transformed the look quite a deal

DSC02983.jpg

it's beginning to look usable

DSC02986.jpg

Holt

according to the old manual i found on the Colchester user group on Yahoo, the sattle belongs to a Dominion while the rest is a Triumph, but i doubt it have ever been changed

DSC02985.jpg

The triumph should have T slots, and the main handle in the other end

Looking much better! That spindle nose is a bit different... is tooling going to be readily available?

The spindle taper is American-type long-taper key drive size L1 and backplates and 2nd hand collet chucks are still available, in both UK and USA. (I'm not sure about Denmark).

There is lots of information on the lathes UK site:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page8.html

The reason for this Triumph having a different saddle/apron is that it is not a gap-bed model and was sold as a "Dominion" model as Holt has found out. The handwheel is on the left side of the carriage and not on the right side as in gap-bed models, which have T-slots in the saddle wings.

Well done Holt with your progress so far! :)

Dennis

Great score on the lathe. The spindle looks to be a L00 type, Same as my Delta-Rockwell 11 inch. Back plates and
complete chucks are available here in the states, not sure about your locale.

Regards,
Mike

The spindle nose is American long taper size L1, i have a back plate on my 3 jaw, and a spare one

DSC02986-1.jpg

Dennis - you postet while i was writing

Holt

DennisWA said:
The reason for this Triumph having a different saddle/apron is that it is not a gap-bed model and was sold as a "Dominion" model as Holt has found out. The handwheel is on the left side of the carriage and not on the right side as in gap-bed models, which have T-slots in the saddle wings.
Dennis
I don't think this is a Dominion, because that version didn't have metric treating, this one have

Holt

Holt..You are right - I was wrong to call it a "Dominion", as it has the Continental gearbox (see below).

The saddle on your machine is what Colchester fitted to non-gap bed machines. If I read the literature correctly it appears that the majority of these lathes had gap beds. I am happy to be corrected by any of the knowledgable Colchester folk! :)

Lathe UK quotes:
Later models, probably coinciding with the introduction of the Mk. 2 in 1964, had a choice of three different gearboxes (Standard, Continental and Dominion) and, for the first time, a metric pitch leadscrew: the Standard was an improved dual English/metric unit run in conjunction with an inch-pitch leadscrew and gave 45 English pitches from 120 t.p.i. to 4 t.p.i. and 12 metric from 0,25mm to 6mm; the Continental was combined with a 6mm pitch leadscrew and generated 31 metric pitches from 0.3mm to 12mm, 32 English piches from 2.5 to 60 t.p.i. and 16 Module pitches from 0.3mm to 3.0mm. The Dominion gearbox, as before, produced only English threads but this time with the number increased to 45 and the range set from 4 to 112 t.p.i..

Dennis

Not to interrupt the flow of conversation, but I believe mine is a dominion type saddle? Colchester 12"

Nice to see more of these great older lathes!

Anthony

1.jpg

Nice looking student you got there, it looks like the Dominion type sattle, with the handwheel in the left side. Doesn't the student have feed on the cross slide? no metric treating? I would have preferred a lathe this size, because of the limited space in my workshop, but the triumph was what i could afford, a student in worse condition as my triumph, is up for sale for 2½ times the price of mine :mad:

The gearbox says dominion on it, but the base says student on it. Im pretty sure its the student package though. Power feed on the carriage and the cross slide, standard compound slide. Everything is in English measurements and all English threads. What do you think mine is worth? I got it through a deal with a cousin, he cant/doesnt have time to use it or have room so I fixed it up a little bit and got it running. It has a decent amount of wear on it, does need to be gone through. I really like the lathe and am going to, at some point, quit mooching and offer him up on it. I think he paid something to the tune of a few hundred US dollars for it at a closing graphite/carbon factory.

Anthony

The price on your lathe depends on supply and demand in your area, here a lathe like this, would likely be sold for 1500-2000 USD if in reasonable condition. Its a very desirable size, small enough to fit most workshops, and large enough to turn "real" stuff

Holt

The sattle is off to be cleaned underneath

DSC03005.jpg

The oil channels on the apron was filled with dirt, and no oil could ever find the way to where it should work

DSC03006.jpg

There are seven oilers in the sattle, and i made nine, that means i am able to put it all together, once i get the oilers finished

DSC03011.jpg

Holt

Two old and two new oilers, if anyone needs it, i could make a quick sketch of them

DSC03015.jpg

Now there are oil in the headstock, and it seems like it is staying there, at least i haven't seen any leaks by now, the oil has been in for a week!

DSC03012.jpg

The motor is mounted and it spins! The headstock is a bit noisy, but not more than expected on a 54 years old lathe with straight cut gears.
The brake works surprisingly well, neither pads or drum shows any signs of wear

Holt

The reason i wanted that design on the oilers is that i have this Swiss made Wanner high pressure oil gun. It don't look like much, but it really can pump the oil to where it is needed.
The manufacture claims it can deliver 150 bar of pressure, that's 2175 psi! I guess it depends on the weight of the user ;D

DSC03017.jpg

Holt

Reading various posts about machinery this size on this forum, it seems many of you use phase inverters. Isn't it normal for you to have 3 phase power? my guess is that over 99% of the houses in Denmark have 3 phase power.
By the pavement, there is what they call a "tombstone" with 3 35A fuses in front of the cable to the house. In the house it is normally split in 10A 230V groups for lightning and wall outlets, 16A 400V groups for washing machines stoves etc. (and of course in the workshop ;D )

Latest posts

Back