How to Lathe books - suggestions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
All I know about running my Myford S7 is what I learned in high school almost 35 years ago. I have an original Myford manual and another book about the Myford but I feel like something is lacking about basic lathe procedures.

Can anyone suggest a title and better yet, a source for a good book.

The workshop series of books are good for that and also many others have been written by the writers that have been in Model Engineer in the past (pre 1980's). I'm not sure who is selling them now but they are fairly common, do a web search for them . Also check Tee publishing, Camden books and other hobby suppliers, they are on the web.

Hi Dave,

"How to run a Lathe" by SouthBend Lindsay has it.

Also, I just uploaded "Text Book of Turning" by Hercus ( SouthBend clone from Australia) See the download section.

Also a great book...especially if it's free ;D

Dave

Fred Colvin's "How to run a lathe" is a great albeit somewhat dated book.

Linsay has that to as well as

Another one in my library all republished by Lindsay

Machine Shop Methods

Basic Principles and methods for apprentices,small shop machinists,home shop hobbiests, and scientists.

By: Lorus J Milne

More how and why here than the Hercus text which tends to be What to do.

Dave

I'd recommend The Amateur's Lathe by L.H. Sparey:
http://www.amazon.com/Amateurs-Lathe-Lawrence-H-Sparey/dp/0852422881

The Amateur's Lathe, like the title states, is directed towards hobbyists. It therefore covers things that you're more likely to do at home. There are also plans throughout the book for various accessories.

How to Run a Lathe is good, and I think it's necessary reading.
If I only had to choose one book, though, The Amateur's Lathe would be it.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron Smith's site: Virtual Machine Shop is another good place to look around for
a few refresher's on the basics. It covers machines, tooling and much more.

Rick

The Internet Archive has dozens of books on machining (and other subjects) including most of the one mentioned hear already. They are free for downloading.

nice scott ive got a lot of reading to do.
thank you

Latest posts

Back