How to fasten electrodes on a spot welder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksor

Reaction score
I need some advice on how to connect/fasten an electrode to the jaw on my spot welder.

You can choose language for translation in the upper right corner !
Look here and ... yeah, come up with some good ideas.

http://kelds.weebly.com/punktsvejser.html

Hi Ksor

What are your arms going to be made of Mine were copper and I simply screwed the electrodes into tapped holes then put a locknut on the other side.

Regards Mark

Not sure what you are doing here but if you are building a spot welder why don't you just buy some round copper spot welder arms and use them. They have threaded holes to mount the contact tips in. The wheel was invented long ago. I use some ready made parts to speed thing up and get the project going.
Gordo

My arms - at least on the spot welder - is made of cobber and I think I have got a good solution in my updated drawings.

Any problems using steel bolts to hold the kobber jaw and electrode together ?

Hi Ksor

No don't use steel the bolts need to be brass or better still copper The resistance of steel is far too high

Regards Mark

Hi Ksor

No don't use steel the bolts need to be brass or better still copper The resistance of steel is far too high

Regards Mark

You'r right that resistance is higher in steel than cobber, but in fact I could isolate the U-peace, the fasteners for the U-peace and the tension bolts from the jaw and the electrode - so they don't need to be brass nor cobber - right ;D

You can use steel bolts as long as they are in a non-current carrying position like pinchbolts.
They do become magnetic during welding and can attract sh1t - also the magnetic field opposes the flow and acts as an impeadance - use stainless (which is even worse as a conductor).

IMHO I have always found the disadvantages of using steel (or stainless) bolts are outweighed by superior clamping power in welding and busbar applications - the power goes through the joint not the bolt - so in those applications high tensile strength trumps conductivity.

I once ran an electode through a cylinder rod in a machine I designed and built - it took me a while to figure out why I lost 80% of my voltage down the electrode - the hollow steel shaft was acting as a transformer core - I replaced it with 316 and it worked as planned.

FYI - deep throat plate welders have a "ramp" function on the welder to compensate for the increacing impeadance generated by the ferrous plate material as you go deeper into the throat.

I'm rambling...

Regards,
Ken

Ksor,

Ken may be rambling, but he speaks truth. Skyline is right too, but he may have assumed that the bolts may need to carry the greatest part of the current. He may also have assumed you were using an electrode bolted to the arm "axially normal" to the electrode . . .

Your design is sound with SS bolts. Clean arms and U-pieces down to bare metal on contact surfaces, and use washers under both bolt heads and nuts to spread pressure. I don't know how well this will translate, but a cupped spring washer (Belleville washer) will maintain tension on the bolt even if the nut works loose somewhat. Your bolts will be loaded in (opposite) shear when the electrode is tightened in place, but the major electrical contact will be direct to the end of the arm. You might consider using headless hex socket setscrews to retain the electrodes, as they can end up flush with the U-piece. This will give you a bit more clearance to get into the corners. You may need to dress the "U-piece to arm" joint with a file if the bolt clearances are too great. You need to end up with a stable, positive joint square to the arm in order to maintain a stable current . First thought was to silver braze the joint, but that would anneal the arm . . .

A better joint would involve a heavier arm, with a split closed around the electrode to eliminate the "U-piece". Your solution is almost as good. Use a recognized dielectric grease as an assembly lube to avoid joint corrosion over time.

Usually, if radial setscrews are used to secure the electrodes, the electrodes themselves will have a very small step on them to keep them from sliding down inside the holders.

Take this with "a grain of salt". I see very few spot-welders in for repair, and most of those are for shorted transformers. The basic engineering is there . . .

DJD

Latest posts

Back