How do you pack your models for shows?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustkolector

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Now that NAMES is just about over, I thought I would bring this topic up. I am always fearful of damaging models during transport to and from shows. I don't build works of art, but I have a lot of time and money in some of them, and I don't want them accidently damaged. I have made wood boxes, used cardboard boxes(no more), and used inexpensive Stack On tool boxes for smaller models. What do you show veterans pack your best (and larger) stuff in?
Jeff

Bogs,
One of the things that prompted my question was the vacatioin instance a few year ago where our car was rear ended by a driver that feel asleep at the wheel. Just about everything in our trunk was damaged including clothing. My wife still has a permanently twisted necklace to remember that vacation. I now carry my engines in the back seat, but still like to see them secured in some sort of individual container after experiencing the havoc that an impact can make on the contents of a car.

Jeff

On a vintage radio site I look at there is a warning about using bubblewrap. Apparently something leaches from the plastic and leaves impressions of the bubbles on some polished wooden surfaces that cannot be removed without re finishing. To prevent this it is recommended that tissue paper or similar is used as a barrier.

I know this may not be such a big issue with metal items but if there is any wood involved or some painted surfaces it may be prudent to take precautions?

Jeff
I hope you secure your containers on the back seat so they can't become projectiles.

Regards
John

Jeff,

You could say that you might be hit by a meteor at some time, and so you start to use an armoured car or such things to carry your creations about in, or even have the back of your car fitted out with individual racks and boxes, surrounded by a roll cage.

Common sense must prevail, and just protect them in such a way so that general handling will cause them no damage at all. No one can protect them from every eventuality that might occur, it would cost an absolute fortune to do so.
I have a bad tendency to drop things, and even so, after dropping them, with a good covering of bubble wrap, they have come to no harm.

John,

It goes without saying that the items should be wrapped in soft cloths before packing with the protection agent. Adhesive tape marks are a pig to get off highly polished metal finishes, and could spoil all your previous preparation work.

All this doesn't affect me now of course, I can't display at shows any more.

Bogs

I have display boxes that are stair step type configuration. the doors on the boxes open the models fit inside for transport and storage.
Tin

Jeff,

Earlier this year I posted a similar question.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=8365.msg88986#msg88986

Here is a picture of my travel case

crate_z6.jpg

I have seen several similar solutions. In one example, the modeler had custom wood box/cases for each model. The boxes fully enclosed each model. The base of the case served as a display platform.

Another fellow made individual platforms for each display model. Each platform mounted into a custom built rack fitted to his truck. The rack had provisions for securing the models.

Bogstandard said:
Jeff,

You could say that you might be hit by a meteor at some time, and so you start to use an armoured car or such things to carry your creations about in, or even have the back of your car fitted out with individual racks and boxes, surrounded by a roll cage.

Bogs

That sounds like the reasoning for all of the SUVs and mega-vehicles that most everyone is driving about here in the U.S., oh and you forgot the bush gaurds and the high intensity spotlight arrays to finish out the 'look'

BC1
Jim

I try not top put heavy things inside the car with me. I have a fear of wreaking and having them hitting me in the head. Kinda like being inside the clothes dryer with a couple of bricks. If you had to stop suddenly they could fly into the front seat.

Hal

Hal said:
I try not top put heavy things inside the car with me. I have a fear of wreaking and having them hitting me in the head. Kinda like being inside the clothes dryer with a couple of bricks. If you had to stop suddenly they could fly into the front seat.
Hal

Years ago, in fact the night I met my wife to be, I feel asleep at the wheel of my brand new hot rod 4x4 truck. The truck rolled 4 times and landed on its roof. My bowling ball and other loose stuff in the cab was right next to my head while I was hanging upside down. The only injury I had was from when I landed on my head when I released the seat belt. I'm pretty sensitive about having loose items in the cabin when I drive.

SAM

I actually have 3 primary show boxes two for engines an one for hoses tools and miscellaneous.
the two engine display boxes are stair step affairs as mentioned one is open in the back I pack engines in smaller boxes inside. the other box is divided front to back the front section has a hinged lid with magnetic catches. the back has doors and a shelf the engines fit on the shelves and a bit of packing around them and a couple engines in the front section also.
the front of display

CF2006-55.jpg

and the back of the open box
notice also the housed regulators.
EngineHouse1.jpg

Tin

Latest posts

Back