Hit and Miss Engine Model

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jack,
Excellent looking build so far. I enjoy making parts from solid as long as there's not a lot of waste. I have built some things from Jerry's plans, nice drawings and a good fellow to deal with.
gbritnell

Egads! man. That is a goodly sized engine. Great start to what I know will be a delightful build. Now as for the girlfriend part, are you daft? They're more expensive :wall: and higher maintenance stickpoke than our machines. Don't do it lad. :big:

BC1

That's a beautiful engine Jack.

Looks like you have an equally beautiful start on it!
Please keep us updated.

Rick

Nice work, Jack! How hard was it to whittle out all those parts?

Chuck

beautiful work man :bow: thank you for showing us. i really enjoy looking at the post like these. it inspires me.
and the work is just great. thank you.
Thm: Thm: Thm: Thm:

Looks like a good start Jack. Did you mill the base out of solid stock? I'm looking forward to watching your progress and maybe learning a few things.

Rudy

Its looking great Jack...very nice pictures also. I will be following the thread with much interest.
Regards,

Bill

Jack,

I'm envious - I hope mine looks half as good. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Jack,

Nice gears, where did you find a $26 gear cutter ??? (I want one, I want one..........................one) ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Jack,

Nice gears, where did you find a $26 gear cutter ??? (I want one, I want one..........................one) ;D

Best Regards
Bob

ME TOO! Sheesh, at that price I'll take a box of 'em!

Range of Cutters for Involute gear cutters

Cutter Number Cuts Gear from

1 135 teeth to rack
2 55-134
3 35-54
4 26-34
5 21-25
6 17-20
7 14-16
8 12-13

Phil,

Thanks for the cutter lead. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Jack, you mentioned the #2 cutter, but didn't say where it was made. The #3 came from Poland. Could you see a difference in quality of the cutters.

The reason I ask is I purchased several 48P cutters from Traverse and they all came from China. I was building Jerry Howells V-Twin at the time and had a bunch of small gears to cut. I couldn't get the gears to mesh worth a darn. I checked the cutters under a microscope and they had no involute form to them. They were horrible quality. I sent them back to Traverse and ordered a set from McMaster Carr. Just a few $'s more in cost. They came from Poland and were excellent cutters. I made all the gears over again and they worked fine.

try ebay 310061141796 5/8 brass ball 3 for 1.00 plus 2,00 shipping usd buy now option located in Orlando Florida --richard

Latest posts

Back