Hi from Cumbria (UK)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New owner of an old Myford lathe and newer Taig mill. No machining experience other than one term at school – and that’s nearly fifty years ago.

Interests include Guzzi and Z650 motorbikes (1981) and finishing a part built steam loco bought on ebay. Perhaps shouldn’t be surprised it didn’t look so good as the photos. Enjoying learning how to make bits – and the loco did look almost complete. Other projects appear.

Live in the UK (North West Cumbria).
David

From another West Cumbrian, you will find a lot of expertise and help on this Forum.

Mike.

Welcome David!

Plenty of help here. Might want to try making a few simple air or steam engines before jumping into the loco just to get the feel back.

Excellent suggestion Steve. That’s the way things are evolving. The otherprojects include items that are readily completed - but involve some learning.

Ball ended handle for a Minnie. A few pipe fittings for a Minnie.

A couple of drain cocks for a marine twin. Thin brass washers. Broach tomake square holes. A delight finding info on the internet, making a tool andusing it. Certainly isn’t perfect – but it works. Next time a better tool and asquarer hole. Simple taper reamer. Cross drilling. Bungs to finish. Bodies tomake. Probably practice with brass that’s on stock – and then find some bronze.

Yesterday evening, a couple of dome nuts (M3). Missing from a Gorgon. Like machiningthe hexagon flats.

When I find a bit of 2” stainless, replacing the rear axle nut on the Z650. Lookslike previous owner used water pump pliers. Odd since the bike is otherwise inreasonable condition. Previous owner aJaguar trainer mechanic.

David

Hi,
Currently located on snowline above Edinburgh but learn't how to use machine tools at school in Carlisle 50yrs ago. Metalwork master (remember them ?) one of few teachers to treat us like human beings - provided you didn't muck around !! Quite happy for me to go in & use forge, lathe or milling machines alone & unsupervised - can't see that happening these days. Only left chuck key in chuck once, Bill Neish could really make you feel a complete fool if you b****d up !! Happy Days .......

I live in York and the mention of metalwork teachers bring back many happy memories at Acomb Secondary Modern a brand new school now a comprehesive.

The teacher was a model engineer and goon fan (do you older ones remember them) he left me with a life long interest in mechanical things.

Paul

Hi Windy,i lived in Leeds and i first used a lathe in metalwork class at 14 yrs of age
My teacher was also into model engineering and started me in a lifetime of engineering
MINNIE THERES A TAP AT THE DOOR,A TAP HENRY Barry

Back