Help me find a thread

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Jerry

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Help please. There was a post several months ago that I would like to revisit but i cannot find. The only keyword that I can recall from the post was "bling" and a search on that term is futile here. The poster showed his method of using a v point flycutter to produce a sunburst pattern which he then used to bling the heck out of a very attractive model. The pattern appeared on slide valve steam chest and elsewhere. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Jerry

Thats it! Thanks. Searched on the term I supplied, huh? What obtuse thinking made you think that would work?

Jerry

Jerry,
What you have to realize is that Marv makes miracles happen

George from Conyers Ga.

Since the original question of this thread has been answered I don't feel guilty going a bit off topic.

Efficient searching with a search engine (SE) is a bit of an art. Lots of folks are not aware of some of the tools available to make it easier. Most SEs use the Google model. If you use Google (who doesn't?), do yourself a favor and read this page...

http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?answer=136861

to make yourself aware of the tools that are available.

If you just type a string of words (steam chest cover), the SE will look for posts that contain all those words, but not necessarily in the given order (although posts that contain them in the given order will generally be at the top of the list). If you enclose the words in quotation marks, the SE will look only for that particular phrase, exactly as you typed it (so watch your spelling).

Don't search for a description of what you want (e.g., bling on a steam chest). Rather, try to think of some unusual words that probably occur in the post of interest (not necessarily in order) and search on them. Better yet is to search on a phrase that is likely to occur in the target post.

Finally, understand that this is not meant as a put down of Jerry. I'm just trying to make things easier for others who may read this thread in the future.

Marv,

I didn't think of it as a putdown. My wife always accuses me of asking where something is instead of looking for it myself. Thanks for the help.

Jerry

Back