hello from Canada :D

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy

Reaction score
hi everyone ;D

I stumbled on this forum earlier today (glade I did 8))
soo much info,pics,vids etc
o ya
my names Michael, 17 years old. last year in highschool. interest in machining started a year or 2 ago when friends from out of the country showed me parts for RC cars and running engines. ive done some research and getting familiar with different machining aspects, altho I dont have any machines yet (hopefully that will change soon). dont want to bore you guys since im sure you read these all the time :big: hehe jksjks I know your good group of guys

looking forward to add to the forum
Ciao
Mike

Welcome to HMEM Mike

17 eh?
You know the shop I work for accepts "co-op" employees.
They are young people in their Senior Year of High School
(Vocational/Technical School) with the interest and field of
study based around machining. Their forced to take classes in
trigonometry, geometry and algebra that they can't see a reason
for. 2 days in a working shop and they start to understand why.

I'm looking very much forward to seeing your ambitions grow
with us. Help is just a post or an email away.

Rick

Glad to see the younger generation showing interest! What kind of RC cars are you into? THe shop I used to work for made parts for the Tmaxx trucks. The company we made parts for was Unlimited Engineering. Really cool stuff.

Welcome to the club Mike!

17 years old? Very cool. You will find this place is completely different than other forums you may have been to... never be afraid to ask questions or for help.

Eric

Hello Mike,

Welcome to HMEM. Sounds like you are about to embark on a lifetime of fun and excitement in model engineering.

Chuck

hi Rick (rake60)
I would have loved to get into a coop placement at a machine shop, unfortunately I couldn't make room in my timetable to allow that (would conflict with my acceptances for university)
altho my woodshop teacher has mastercam x program for our classes cnc router ;D
this forum has instantly become my favorite and you bet im going to share all my experiences with all of you :).

Zeusrekning
right now im heavily into my HPI Baja 5B, its a 23cc gasser right now. I also own a nitro cen matrix racing buggy, a team losi micro T and team associated rc18t. but the nitro matrix is going to have to go soon, more money for machining funds.

here is a pic of it from last summer, way more upgrades now (like hydraulic disc brakes, bigger engine etc) guess I have to get a pic of all them together.
(rear shocks off in the pic)
23221030572.jpg

28600175520.jpg

opps how did that get in there :big:. just got into welding before winter came.

im fortunate enough to live very close to a local model engineers club (not sure if you guys herd of it) its the Toronto Society of Model Engineers (www.tsme.ca) if you want to check it out (hopefully that link is allowed) never been yet but I hope to check it out soon, hold meets every first Friday of the month, a number of guys there were very happy to see someone of my age interested in the hobby (they had a display at a yearly hobby show)

Brass_Machine
I agree, you guys have been so welcoming to me (thanks guys ;))
good to know im safe with questions 8)

Cfellows
oman soo true, im already having a blast seeing your guys engines and projects and its fueling my imagination to what I can make (already have a binder starting with project ideas and engine plans, WEW motors and others)

lol you guys are soo fast at responses (its a good thing) im having to add to my post every time I press preview because its telling me others have posted lol.

will get some pics of my other rcs in a min.

Speedy said:
hi Rick (rake60)
I would have loved to get into a coop placement at a machine shop, unfortunately I couldn't make room in my timetable to allow that (would conflict with my acceptances for university)

Congrats on your acceptance!!! :bow:

And what would that field of study be directed toward?
I have a son who will be entering his 5th year working on a doctorate in chemistry.
(Only 3 more years to go...)
I paid for the FIRST year, the rest of it he'll be paying back a month at a time.

Rick

thank you Rick :)
for my first year its going to be more general, social sciences. then my 2nd year I can change and pick what I realy want to get into.

I think thats cool what your son is studying, my sis is taking neuro science wants to be a doc in that feild its crazy homework tho, im sure the same goes for your son. have to give them kudos. tuff stuff.

my parents are putting 3 of use thru uni, and were all 1 year age difference (me being the youngest)

o ya those other pics

micro T (with my fast creative side, camera mount! :big: good ol ductape)
7315580211.jpg

cen
23910400199.jpg

hydro brakes
5523115242.jpg

dont have any of the 18t.

Speedy:
Welcome.
My son is 18 and has designed and built a couple simple steam engines. I am encouraging him towards an engineering career stating at the community college. I do not think he really appreciates having access to an "engineering Lab" at home. He has been home schooled all his life and has been attending model engineering shows since he was 12.

You are fortunate to have a local ME club to take you under their wing. There is a group from Canada that attends Cabin Fever expo in York PA is that your group ??
Tin

hi Tin.

I checked the cabin fever expo link but I didn't see any group name?
its possible, last time I talked to the head of TSME he mentioned they travel to various shows and mention cabin fever but that could be just personal.
maybe a name.
Dave Bowes with his Evic line (I met him, awsome guy!)
(solenoid 4 stroke engine)
man the others just slipped my mind.

Welcome Mike,

There is no such thing on here as young or old, we all think as 17 year olds, the only prob is that our bodies won't let us be that young again.

Just enjoy your stay with us, and do join in, it will be nice having a bit of young blood on here. It might get a few cobwebs out of these doddery old 'uns brains.

John

thanks Bogstanndard
I like your work ;D 8) (and everyone else :bow:)

Speedy said:
thanks Bogstanndard
I like your work ;D 8) (and everyone else :bow:)

Speedy... you should check out John's (Bog) book... It would be a good thing for you to read :)

BOGs BOOK

Eric

Eric (Brass_Machine)
sorry, I thought I replyed to this.. (lately my internet has been dropping constantly)

I recently looked at Bogs Book, was surprised how long it was and with all the info in it!! well done. im going to give it another indepth read to soak it all up :big: honestly.

Back