Hard brass drilling isses

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mauro,

Drop John Moran an Email, tell him you are interested in his 4-6 Facet drill grinder and ask him if he will let you have a copy of his notes. He would be pleased to hear from you, tell him that "John Baron" sent you to him.

If you look at the pictures down the page you will find one of the grinder that I built from his notes.

John

Thank you for the information. Oddly, I already have a copy on file.

I'm wondering whether it can be 'grafted' onto Eccentric's Acute Tool and Cutter Grinder which is slowly being built.

Happy Christmas and Hogmanay.

Norm

Hi Norman,

Trust you are keeping well !

I should think that it should be possible to use the "Enccentric" as a drill grinder since you can set the rake angle quite easily. However to get the four facets the cutting edge of the drill has to be the pivot point on the face of the grinding wheel and able to be rotated around this point. Difficult to describe ! But if you take a strip of paper, fold it at some angle. Say 120 degrees. Now hold the piece of paper on a flat surface with the folded edge touching it and rotate it backwards and forwards keeping the full length of the folded edge touching, you will see what I'm trying to describe. Now as long as you rotate the drill about its centre line by exactly 180 degrees, both cutting edges will be the same length.

It took several minutes for the penny to drop, but once it did the rest was easy. "John Moran's" 4-6 Facet drill grinder relies upon the table trunions being exactly in line with the face of the wheel and the drill cutting edge being on the same line. I made the motor and hence the wheel position adjustable so I could compensate for different wheels.

HTH.

Latest posts

Back