hafco AL320-G GEARING

Discussion in 'Computer Geek Zone' started by jimhines, Aug 20, 2017.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Aug 20, 2017 #1

jimhines

jimhines

jimhines

hi im a new beginner and have made a small mistake and can't work out the gearing on my lathe.i worked out the manual for cutting metric threads and had good success but i did not take note of the default gearing for general work ,can anyone help the lathe is a hafco AL_320G

2. Aug 20, 2017 #2

XD351

XD351

XD351

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

If you look inside the door of the lathe where the gears are you will see a chart .
    The gear train diagram will help yo identify what gear is what , the first two lines on the chart are for the gearing for turning .
    The gear train is identified by letters - m, n, a, b, c, d. With m being the gear that feeds out of the lathe head and d feeds the lead screw .
    I have mine set for 0.100 mm per turn of the spindle which is the finer of the two feeds available .
    Gearing is as follows :
    M = 24
    N= 60
    A= 24
    B=50
    C=25
    D=48

Once you have that set up if you want the coarse feed ( 0.200mm per turn of the spindle ) you change M to 28 and N to35 and leave the rest as is .

I was told by the person i bought my AL320 off that one of the charts had an error for thread gearing but i can't remember if it was the one in the book or the chart on the lathe .

Hope that helps !

Ian.

3. Aug 20, 2017 #3

rodw

rodw

rodw

I don't believe there is any errors in the settings in the AL320g.

I have not gone out to my shed to check, but I'm pretty sure the default settings are listed at the top of the chart on the door.

4. Aug 20, 2017 #4

XD351

XD351

XD351

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

I haven't compared both of them yet but the last time i set it up for thread cutting i used the chart on the inside of the door lathe and it worked fine .
    The chart can be a little confusing to a newcomer as the gear tooth count is set out as something that resembles a fraction multiplied by another fraction such as :
    25 60
    -- X --
    50 24

In reality it is just two gear on the same shaft 25 & 50 that mesh with another two on the next shaft 60 & 24 .

5. Aug 21, 2017 #5

rodw

rodw

rodw

Also, there are a couple of drawings on the label one face on, and the other view from the edge of the cogs. I have found it useful to sketch the edge view on a sheet of paper and label the gears you need (ABCD and their ratios). That makes it much easier to change them.