Granite steam engine? Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majorstrain

Reaction score
Could this be the start of my first steam engine made from granite?
P1070948.jpg

P1070946.jpg

P1070950.jpg

Naw ;D
I just got a job to drill some 18mm core samples out of some 50mm diameter 1200m deep bore hole samples for testing at the university I work at.
It took longer to make the rotary water coupling and containment tank as well as the fixtures and fittings than to drill and prepare the 36 samples of differing orientations. But the hourly rate was right so no arguments from me.
@ 150rpm it takes 15 minutes a core just to drill.

The water system is self contained and uses a small pond pump in the tank to recirculate. Don't want the Bridgie rusting. ;D

At least I didn't get hot swarf down my pants on this job. :big:

Cheers
Phil

Now theres a set up you don't often see.

But go one, make a granite engine. :big:

tmuir said:
Now theres a set up you don't often see.

But go one, make a granite engine. :big:

I'll probably regret agreeing to that, but it's on!
The project will be a granite wobbler to be finished by Febuary. :hDe:
I'm thinking a granite body, cylinder, piston and fly wheel. the rest will be metal.

Lets have a good laugh along the way, I've already bored 36 practice cylinders. woohoo1

Cheers,
Phil

Electrian, electronics tech, closet machinist and soon to be stone mansion. th_wtf1

I am SO lookin' forward to this! ;D

Vernon said:
Phil puts the ROCK in Rocker engines! ;D

Let's just hope he fully appreciates them and does not take them for granite. ;D

Oh I'm going to look forward to this.
I'm guessing the trunnion bolt will be glued into the cylinder rather than the traditional way of screwing in. ;D

Phil puts the ROCK in Rocker engines! ;D
Rof}

Now I've got some scratch.gif time to try and work out how to do this. ;D

looks like some diamond tools on the shopping list.
Honey, I'm just going to pop out and get some diamonds for Christmas. ::)
Better duck for cover when SWMBO finds out there not for her. :hDe:

Phil.

I'm guessing the trunnion bolt will be glued into the cylinder rather than the traditional way of screwing in. ;D

Yep, Araldite K138 sounds like the trick, has a bit of a granite grey colour to it as well. Piston rod will get the same treatment into the piston.

I think I'll go with a 18mm diameter piston and try to bore the cylinder to suit. 18 mm is the core sample size. the core hole size is 25mm. The piston is getting a bit too big at 25mm.

Cheers
Phil

Anyone know the expansion rate of granite with heat?
Don't want the piston to seize in the bore. :big:

If this works you will next to make one with a quartz cylinder so you can see it all working.

Hmmm... maybe cheat a little and cast some epoxy-granite parts...with pre-threaded holes...

Vernon said:
Hmmm... maybe cheat a little and cast some epoxy-granite parts...with pre-threaded holes...

Good Idea Vernon, I was thinking I might cast a cylinder sleeve to save trying to polish the bore.

Iv'e started to tool up for the job.

30 pieces Diamond coated CYLINDRICAL rotary burr 4-6MM
burrscyliders.jpg

1mm to 2.5mm diamond coated drill hole twist bit 20pcs
drills.jpg

3 SETS Diamond tipped burrs glass drill bit FULL GRIT
Burrs.jpg

5 pcs Diamond marble DRY WHITE BUFF polishing pad wheel
Pads.jpg

When I commence the job proper, I'll start a build thread.
This is going to take some careful prep to keep the machines diamond and dust free.

Cheers,
Phil

I admit I didn't think you were serious. Apologies for that.

This is going to be neat.

Back