Glass bits

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnimill

Reaction score
These are on offer for £10.99 at Wickes:

Not tried them yet but the last time I needed to open up a hole in some hardened steel I used a similar bit which worked a treat.

Glassbits.jpg

Vic.

They can also be used in a non-hammer action drill to drill holes in masonry walls, handy for quiet diy projects to avoid disturbing the neighbor/wife/cat.

Tim

I've used them on hard ceramic tile and they cut a neat hole like butter.

Brian

I have used one to drill a 1/4" hole through a wire reinforced window glass, worked quite well.

When I saw the title and knew that it came from a UK member, I guessed that it was about a powdered glass blasting medium. The UK has many uses for the word bits.

About 100 yrs ago (it seems like it anyway) we were shown this style of bit in shop class. We were drilling a hole through plate glass for a decorative fixture. (3/8" dia. I think it was) The instructor made a small, round-ish dam, about 3/4" deep, out of modeling clay around the site to be drilled and filled this depression with oil. This was done for cooling as well as lubrication. I seem to recall the drill was set to a medium speed and a very light pressure was used to initiate the quill. Took a few minutes but it worked a treat. I also remember him stressing the use of "hob nob" gloves and safety glasses to be sure. I think I only used this type of bit once since that time so very long ago but like everything else, the right tool for the right job.

BC1
Jim

I bought a set of three bits 6,8 & 10 when I was doing a tiling job many years ago but never used them on tiles or glass. Then the hardened steel 123 block needed some holes opening up ...

Vic.

Back