Gerry's Beam Engine -Finally finished !

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After building the V twin Vega, I decided to make my first venture into steam and chose to build 'OldBoatGuys' Beam Engine (Gerry Dykstra).
I actually started this project about 18 months ago and put it aside during house moving and subsequent DIY projects but decided it was time to finish it.
My choice of material was to use reclaimed brass from scrap plumbing parts which I re-melted into either cast parts or created bar stock from the same.
Casting the frames was a nightmare due to shrinks etc but finally (after 6 goes) I had a pair of useable frames.
3D printing was used extensively for both sand cast patterns and lost PLA.
I can't say this was a very rewarding project and maybe that shows in the finished product as I was losing interest towards the end.
A constant niggle was the amount of missing dimensions on the plans and with hindsight I think the metric plan version to be a better route.
Anyhow it does work and I can tick the finished box :)

YouTube

Attachments

• Gerry Beam 1.jpg
    Gerry Beam 1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 515
Looks good. I made this engine a few years back out of aluminium but your choice of brass wins hands down. I confess I now prefer to build bigger engines as I find them easier. Well done. Cheers, Peter.

Looks good. I made this engine a few years back out of aluminium but your choice of brass wins hands down. I confess I now prefer to build bigger engines as I find them easier. Well done. Cheers, Peter.

Thanks for the kind comments Peter.
I would tend to agree with you on larger engines but having said that my next challenge is a 0.2cc diesel!! Aaaarrggh! :)

Good job and a beautifull runner .
I'm a fan of recycling materials to , altough I never tried brass before .
My furnace can't handle the temperatures I think ;

With the metric plans , are you referring to the ones drawn by julius dewaal ?

Fantastic, Now I know what to aim for.

Yes indeed, that's the metric plans. There are a few missing dimensions but not as many. I also download nice 3D model from GrabCad which helped in checking dimensions (if you have decent CAD program)

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have recently finished transposing the Metric Plans of Gerry Beam Engine drawn by Ken I into individual Production Drawings.
I did this as an exercise to practice up my AutoCAD and to learn the Australian Standard 1100 which is the Engineering Drawing
Standard we use down here but should be compatible with most Standards. All I did was transpose Ken I's drawings, so anything
missing you will have to work out. I am looking at this engine as a Project at my Engineering School I am currently attending.

I will attempt to upload a Production Quality PDF and when I work out how to package the individual AutoCAD files I will upload
them also. So here goes.

BTW - Great looking engine. The Brass looks good and I really like the wood around the Piston. I had been considering this to make
it a bit more "authentic".

Cheers

Andrew

Attachments

• Beam Engine - Metric Complete - Part A.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 578
  • Beam Engine - Metric Complete - Part B.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 667
Hi Thad,

Good catch! All I did was extract the Drawing from the huge original and turn it into production Drawings.
I literally cut and pasted every one and the only changes I made were to scale and fit on the A3 and A4 pages.
On looking at the Drawing it seems to me that you use 6mm Diameter rod and turn the ends to 4mm Diameter.
This would make sense for a Fulcrum Pin which is what it is. The 4mm Diameter in the centre is obviously an error
in the original and should be 6mm.

As to what is F/M Brass? No idea - I am new at this and was hoping someone could tell me. I am assuming it is a type
of Brass along the lines of High Speed Steel or Spring Steel. My Google Goggles only give images or things made of it
and it appears to be used in pipes and screws quite a lot.

Cheers

Andrew

There are a few version of gerry's beam out there .
One of the metric versions has been modified , and no longer has the triangular shaped support
above the steam cilinder .
I feel , but that is my personal opinion , that the removal of that "I beam" makes the engine look less attractive .

Andrew , I'm afraid you took that version for your - beautifully drawn - plans .

Just an obervation guys , no criticism intended .

Pat

Latest posts

Back