Fizzers, SS50s,APs,and the dreaded Kriedler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline1

Reaction score
Hi guys

A couple of days ago I happened to meet up with some chaps from the British Auto Cycle Union who were on a little rally locally.

They were actually outside my local supermarket with all manner of small "motor assisted cycles" from old (1908) to remarkably new Japanese machines.

Seeing all these got me to reminiscing a bit

A humble apprentice my first transport was a Honda SS50 four stroke

My mate's Yam's and Susi's could eat me in a straight line but I soon found out I could "out brake' em" on corners and out accelerate 'em coming out.

Pretty good fun for some average teenage lads

We had the odd "ditching" and "Hedging"

Then came trouble

The Kriedler 50

Developed (Apparently) from Van Veen Kriedler 50cc race bikes

further info on this would be much appreciated

It sounded like an angry wasp revved to about 12000 and had a seven or eight speed gearbox

I may be wrong about the some specs here but please feel free to post and correct me

Regards Mark

I vaguely remember them. Didn't they hold the 50cc world speed record or some such? The street model in Australia was IIRC called the Kreidler Florett. Sales never took off, probably due to price. I still can't read a recipe calling for "florets" of cauliflower or broccoli without thinking of a 50cc motorbike with its rider flat on the tank.

Latest posts

Back