First IC Selection

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benster

Reaction score
I've been building Elmer's engines and am becoming more proficient in machining, to the point where I would like to make an IC engine. Is there a recommended starting point? I've seen the Boll Aero engines but from what I've read getting them to run can be tricky, both with the fuel mixture and compression necessary. I'd like to start with a two stroke or four stroke single cylinder, ideally a barstock based engine.

Can ya'll recommend one?

Thanks

There is an engine named the Webster which is a single cylinder hit and miss style engine. It is made from barstock and the plans are free. When getting into I.C. engines precision of machining goes up quite a bit from building steam engines. Things like true bores, good fitting pistons and well sealed valves are some of the important items. Once these can be mastered then multi-cylinder I.C. engines become much easier.
gbritnell

It's been suggested you build a Hit-N-miss engine. The governor mechanism on these can be challenging to get just right. I'd suggest a simple single cylinder 4- cycle as a starter. Eliminating the governor and related hit/miss parts would be easier. I always wondered why technology seemed to progress through that complex mechanism and then went to straight 4 cycle.

The Webster is not a hit and miss engine. It is a very simple and straightforward 4 cycle engine.---Brian Rupnow

It's a hands down choice and a well known model benster. Webster recommended by beginners and master machinists!Thm:

Back