Firebird compressor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Tranter

Reaction score
Can who ever has built this compressor show me their connections to the fire extinguisher, and what they used to make the connections?

J....
I removed the gage of the FE tank the thread is 1/8 npt screwed in a 1/4 - 1/8 reducing nipple then a 1/4 npt T to that I may change to a cross. I posted a photo below use this as a guide only . I will probably add a oil /moisture separator between the comp and tank then add a oiler on the comp intake these compressors are designed to circulate oil with the freon in a closed loop system so the trick here is going to be keeping oil in the compressor but out of the tank and out of the shop air. I also considered either enlarging the gage hole to 1/4 npt or adding a 1/4 npt hole to the FE valve block for now I am using the KISS method. If you need it I can give a detailed fitting list but like I said this setup will change. I was using what I had on hand and what was available for initial testing. I have since purchased other fittings also keep in mind there are no safety features on this photo. you will need a safety blow off valve and you may want an auto power stitch to regulate pressure.
CAUTION this is not a completed design it is a work in progress

compressor2.jpg

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Hope this helps
Tin

Hi

Have a look at my post A COMPRESSOR on page 2 in the tools section for some more info.

Cheers

Thank you for the help. I have a small ice machine that I am going to pull the compressor out of and try this.
A couple of questions I do have 1. Where can I get a safety blow off valve 2. where can I get a auto power switch?
Thank you all.
John

John:
Firebird made his own relief valve and has posted pics of it. or you may want to pick one up at MSCthey have non code PR valves of brass for $10.00 each available in 50psi, 75psi,and 100psi settings.here is a link to the 50psi modelRelief valve
They also carry a variety of Pressure switchesYou may also want to check out Mcmaster Carr or enco.
Local hardware stores Tractor supply, or plumbing supply houses may also carry these items.
I should also note here most compressors have some type of regulator to give a steady line pressure

I did some checking http://www.mcmaster.com/ has adjustable pop safety valves for $3.81 each catalog #50265K23 adjustable 25-200 psi I ordered two along with some other fittings.
Tin

Latest posts

Back