Electronic Ignition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKmetal7

Reaction score
What electronic spark ignition systems do builders use for engines that need a high spark count per second, like the Hodgson 9? The S/S Machine Multi-spark buzz coil is only capable of producing 80 sparks per second, and it's not capable of spark advance.... my engine will run (I hope :p ) at about 3000RPMs tops. At 3500RPMs I would need 145 sparks per second, and I would like to advance the spark timing.

I'll be using a distributor, with a magnet/hall effect trigger.

Just for show... designed this for an over-square 3hp marine 2 stroker I helped on.

Magneto.jpg

I have v-8 engine that will spin 7800 rpm and I know Steve Huck's engines spin some pretty good rpm's and we both use S&S ignitions. The number that they have posted on their site is somewhat conservative. I don't know what they will peak out at but I've had no problems
gbritnell

The S&S CDI system is good for 200 sparks/sec. and will work with a hall effect sensor. Ignition advance is easily done by rotating the distributor with a linkage connected to the throttle operator.

RWO

Latest posts

Back