El cheapo spot welder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbiev

Reaction score
Had a spare microwave oven transformer so I thought I'd make a spot welder.
Step 1. Replace heaps of turns of very thin wire on secondary winding with a lot fewer turns of very thick wire.

I like it but I also like the homemade die holder and the use of a nice old fashioned lathe tool holder. with a hss tool bit.
Cheers

Norman

Could not find size lugs I needed so made out of copper pipe

Nice but where is the lever to press down as the contacts heat up and the weld is created? Mine were tongs like a Mole Wrench.

If, however, it is for delicate work- fine- enjoy. Very nice.

I was having a thought about using a Mole wrench with a copper contact to make one which is more mobile.

Great concept though. Top of the class.

Norman

Thanks for the compliments. A video is on its way but as Goldstar suggested, a bit of leverage would be nice. So after a couple of mods I shall post a clip.

Looks good herbie where do you get the ideas.That return spring might need to be heavier as the tips can stick to the weld.Like the 2 angle brkts from Bunnings.Video please when your ready. Regards barry

Very clever and a unit that will more than repay the effort. Well done.

Jim

Great piece of work. I recall that we always tried to spot weld sheets of metal before the real gas or Mig/Mag welding. I have no doubt that this work will be repaid, over and over again.

Now what about a baby one with a turret of 4 different 'heads'? My missus had one that would do stainless wire and stainless bands. Only had one fault. She had to leave it when she retired!

Thanks Herbie

Norman

Clever setup. Looks like a telegraph key from a Frankenstein movie!

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. Probably a few more mods to come but here is the video as promised

Latest posts

Back