Educate me on lathe carriage stop please---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bogstandard said:
I have attached a pic of what happened to my lathe in a previous life.

Still want to work without one?

John

Yes I work without one and will certainly continue to do so..Indeed I do use one when that is there is a real need like boring to a shoulder but its rare circumstance.Your previous owner was terminally careless , such ruinous occurances rarely happen to normal people .There are people who should never be allowed around machinery and I will agree with you that those folks should use carriage stops religiously but everybody else , I trust they will use caution and it will never be a problem for them...

Lets make sure this thread doesn't turn into something bad, Please.

Thanks, Wesley

greenie said:
Ooops, sorry for saying anything about those bolts, looks like you know it all now, so why start this thread with the subject heading in the first place?
I started this thread to get other peoples opinions. I never said that I would apply exactly what other people suggest. There are many very knowledgeable people on this board. Their applications are similar to mine, but not exactly the same. When you have worked in engineering for 43 years, been involved in the building of literally thousands of custom machines, and built race cars that competed in top end drag racing succesfully, then you can insult me. Untill then, bite your tongue. Put a real effort into growing up a little bit, and then maybe, just maybe, you will know enough to make rude comments to me.---Brian

Still want to work without one?

John, someone could do the same damage by not setting a stop properly. I use them as a dimensioning device along with a graduated leadscrew handwheel and of course the trusty compound for quick and dirty work...but as a safety device to stop chuck crashes? Nope and haven't heard this as SOP. It just doesn't strike me as problem, 15 years without a crash, preventing something not spinning from hitting something spinning is what i'm there for :) One could argue the contrary - that someone would be as likely to miss set the thing properly and cause a crash or that it would ceate a false security. but hey, no harm done if that's you want to do it....I'm with you so far as their usefulness as a dimensioning device goes.

lathe headstock bolts. I think greenie is right, but that's coming from the paradigm of someone who doesn't think, as a safety device. its useful. As a dimensioning device, it needs to be movable along the ways - like the simple and neat rig itowbig posted. A lathe should have nothing aligning the head stock to the ways except for the V way - the headstock should mate to bed that way. You should be able to unbolt and reattach a headstock, and I've done it more that once, without having an alignment issue. This is a precise and fundamental aspect of a quality lathe; that the spindle bore holes in the headstock perfectly align the to the V in its bottom.

However, we've seen and been told of all manner of things on import tooling and I wouldn't exactly be as surprising as the second coming to find a shimmed headstock or otherwise arrangement shouldn't be disturbed. Because of this my sense would be leave the headstock alone, drag racing experience or other not withstanding ;D. Granted, there's varying opinions on the usefulness of a carriage safety stop, mine is it's useless and not worth taking a chance disturbing the headstock.

Yes I work without one and will certainly continue to do so..Indeed I do use one when that is there is a real need like boring to a shoulder but its rare circumstance.Your previous owner was terminally careless , such ruinous occurances rarely happen to normal people .There are people who should never be allowed around machinery and I will agree with you that those folks should use carriage stops religiously but everybody else , I trust they will use caution and it will never be a problem for them

Just for your information, all that damage was caused by a couple of seconds lack of concentration. Not because he was a bad machinist. In fact he could most probably have run rings around everyone on here.

Are you such a perfect machinist that you never have a lapse, or do anything wrong? You don't happen to walk on water as well?

No one person is exempt from using safety features as and when they are required, but to tell someone they shouldn't use machinery because of having an accident, I am very sorry, but you need to be told otherwise.
If you accidently run into your chuck, will you give up machining? I think not.

I really dont like the way this is going!!! I'm locking this topic for now.

Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back