Easy Vice Stop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
Decided to take a few minutes to build a vice stop for my little 2 inch vice. Used some scrap aluminum to make it. After I machined my pieces, I decided to powder coat them black. Just need to make some brass thumb screws.

Vice%20Stop%203.JPG

Vice%20Stop%202.JPG

Eric

hitandmissman said:
Nice looking job. Do you do your own powder coating?

Yeah. I have been powder coating for a couple of years now. I have a medium sized oven that I use. Motorcycle wheels are about the largest I can do (for now). I have been thinking about doing that as a part-time side business.

Eric

Instead of Brass thumbscrews, why not retain the steel ones and insert brass pads on the end of them? It keeps the strength of the steel but stops the shafts being marked or burred due to the pads. Did this on clamps used on a section cutting saw used in the plastic window industry. Ian.

Circlip said:
Instead of Brass thumbscrews, why not retain the steel ones and insert brass pads on the end of them? It keeps the strength of the steel but stops the shafts being marked or burred due to the pads. Did this on clamps used on a section cutting saw used in the plastic window industry. Ian.

I've done both approaches, and both worked out well for me. Did a similar vise stop that used split cotters and brass thumscrews:

P7123549.JPG

The split cotters multiply force pretty well (i.e. they take little finger pressure to clamp tightly), so there has been no visible wear on the brass.

I also built some big ole brass knobs for my mill's X-axis lock because I got tired of the cheezy plastic ones it came with:

P6233495.JPG

They just clamp to the SHCS heads with a set screw and have worked out very nicely. They were the first thing I ever did with my rotab, BTW.

Brass, I think you'll love having a vise stop like that. My biggest problem with mine is I often forget when I could have used it to save time until it's too late. Just goes to my old dictum (that I also forget too often!):

Never tear down a setup until you're completely sure you're done with it.

A corrollary would be to set the vise stop before you tear down the setup in case you might want to use it.

Best,

BW

Really must start using spectacles when viewing these posts! You're quite right Brass & Bob, thumbscrews are required for the clamping, was looking at the two cap screws holding the back bar. Can also now see that bars are also alloy, in the application I applied, the brackets were cast iron, (which had to be Helicoiled) and they were cross drilled for grub screws clamping onto steel bars.

Latest posts

Back