Dry Tumbler Polishing Media

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretk

Reaction score
I had some questions on what I have used as far as media in my 5lb $49.95 harbor freight special vibratory tumbler, so I thought I would post my response here: Regarding tumbler media, I am by no means an expert, but here is what I have learned so far:

Walnut media alone does nothing

You can go to a lapidary or rock polishing store and buy red rouge powder to add to your own walnut media and that works fine for brass/bronze/gold (polished my wedding ring too!)
OR
You can buy a pre coated walnut media called DRI SHINE but it gives a golden hue to aluminum polished in it.

The solution and best I have found so far is DRI SHINE III Media which is a corncob based media that also works on aluminum. I purchased from eastwood.com in a 15 lb container, also available from jewelry supply houses and rock polishing outfits.

Limitations of vibratory polishing:

The media gets crammed into every stinkin drill hole, so you need a small # 50 -60 drill in a handle to use as a pick to clean them out, fortunately the media is softer than the parts.

Plan on pre sanding parts to a # 400 minimum grit to #600 preferable grit prior to putting them in.

Plan on 24 hours of polishing time per load

Put items of similar weight in togeather.

There are size limits on the 5 lb vibratory finishers a 1/4" by 2" by 6" brass plate is too big, it will sink and the corners will round off (dont ask ::))

New media needs to run an extra 24 hours to break in before it will work well

Flitz makes an additive for brass to add to dry polishing media that retards tarnishing and seems to work pretty well.

Hi Bret,
If you wish to minimise the nuisance of having to dig the media out of tapped holes, simply screw a sacrificial screw into the tapped hole, and nothing will get in!
Regards, Ian.

I posted my comments on cleaning brass in another thread, but walnut shell alone is only a cleaner as you discovered.

Rouge works well, as does auto polish "nu finish" for a lighter polish.

Corncob works best for final polishing-- I get both at pet stores. If you get the bigger sizes, it doesn't pack the tiny holes, though it still gets in the larger ones and has to be picked out.

Back