Drills in the UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

For all you lads in the UK here is about the best and cheapest place to get your twist drills, not sets but individual and packs of ten. They do stub, jobber and long series at super low prices. Also if you are into DIY I don't think you will find any place cheaper on all the other bits on the site.

http://www.leofixings.com/fixings_Drill+Bits-10.html

John

I just checked the price of a drill I recently bought (12mm Cobalt) and I paid about £12 for one (local ironmonger) and these sell for £35 for 5. So about £7 each. A usefull saving if you need 5.

I've been buying my drills from a german lot on Ebay.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BOHRER-UND...colZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ9251141QQftidZ2QQpZ5QQtZkm

£5 for 5 X 12mm HSS-TIN. The postage is £8 so its only worth it if you're going to buy maybe over £50's worth. They do drills in 0.1 mm increments and bigger sizes like 28.5, etc in 0.5mm increments on MT2 & MT3.

Anyway, I found them quite good and I'll certainly compare the two sites the next time I need some drills.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Well ,I have to say here, that I've bought a lot of "tin" drill bits and the other day I was drilling some bronze and as Boggy informed me a while ago, bronze can catch the drill bit from time to time ,I f***ed 3 of my ,apparently good bits trying to get through and in the end I got through with some Dormer bits that I bought from a local supplier, because I needed some in between (.1,.3 etc) sizes,they weren't so expensive ($3 apiece for 6.3mm) obviously the bigger they are the more they cost but if you buy one every now and again it won't break the bank, and you'll have indestructible drill bits that'll last a long time, they are so well made that you almost get a reamed hole!. IMO use the cheap bits to go near size but get good ones to finish the hole, otherwise it's false economy... in a sense you still get what you pay for, buy 5 cheap ones for the price of 1 good one?..plus it's not so easy to sharpen say a 6.2mm drill bit so that it will still make a 6.2mm hole unless you have some serious sharpening gear...anyway, thats my 10 cents worth!.....Giles

Hi Giles,

problem with drill bits in brass - bronze, besides quality is the rake angle of the drill.
Such drills should be just ground in a different manner (flat and not round).

All the above, If (!) I remember correctly (?)...

George

Back