Double acting triple steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crueby

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This is a double acting 3 cylinder engine I just completed. This one was not done from plans, but made up as I went to fit the size of the chunks of brass/steel that I had left over from previous engine and clock movement projects. Cylinders are 5/8" bore with a 1" stroke and a spool-valve with a 5/16 bore. The piston and valve rods extend through the top of the engine giving a bit more eye-candy than stopping them internally (watching the coumpound engine in the steamship Sabino at Mystic Seaport Museum gave me that inspiration).

Came out pretty well, self starts, runs fairly slow on about 5 or 10 psi (my guage does not read well at low pressures, not sure what actual pressure was), and spins up nicely at higher pressures. Made a fun winter project. Now I gotta figure out how to hook it up in the kayak for next spring....!

Here is a video of it running:
[ame]http://youtu.be/NReWxrjCVa0[/ame]

There is a build thread of it in the WIP section - here is a link:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/double-acting-triple-using-up-spare-pieces-22086/

IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

Superb workmanship. Congratulations on a beautiful engine.

Cheers,Thm:
Phil

Hi Crueby,

Great engine.th_wav
Been dreaming of building this engines. Have built six oscillating engines and three slide valve engines.
All used overhung crankshafts. Dared not dream of cutting multi-throw crankshafts.Will view your thread on machining this crankshaft.

Hi Crueby,

Great engine.th_wav
Been dreaming of building this engines. Have built six oscillating engines and three slide valve engines.
All used overhung crankshafts. Dared not dream of cutting multi-throw crankshafts.Will view your thread on machining this crankshaft.

I've always dreaded cutting them too - in this one, I pieced it up from flat stock and rod, so no offset cutting was needed - pics are in the build thread. Key to getting it to work right was to clamp the pairs of flat bar for the webs together, square them up in the vise, and do all the drilling with them as a pair. That way everything lined up very easy in final assembly.

Latest posts

Back