Digital Camera Help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have a Cannon PowerShot SX110IS camera that I dearly love, and it works like a charm-----most of the time. I never mess with the settings on it, except once in a while I turn on the "macro" function to get a close up picture of a small engine part, but other than that, I don't mess with the settings, because I am, to put it bluntly "Gadget Challenged".----There is some setting on the camera that occasionally gets out of whack, and when it does the camera takes just horrible, out of focus videos. I have been trying to get a good video of the KrazyKlockwork mechanism this afternoon and the results are deploreable. Can anybody explain to me in words of two syllables or less, just what the heck might be wrong? The last time this happened I took the camera up to futureshop, and the kid fixed it in about 3 seconds and gave me one of those looks that only a teenager can give to old farts like me, messin with electronic gadgetry.---Brian

If the camera has the ability to manually focus, that could be it.
I had a camera that would set itself to manual focus, and then I would wonder why the camera wouldn't focus on anything!

Okay--Problem is solved. I was forgetting to hold the push button half way down untill the camera focused itself and then beeped at me to let me know I should then push the button all the way down to shoot an "In focus" movie. Thanks guys.

Brian,
Particularly in macro mode I find the autofocus does not always give me what I'm looking for.
Normally I take a number of shots and then I will press the button for the autofocus to lock on - and then move the camera a bit closer to take the photo - repeat but move a bit further away - that way I get a range of various focussed pictures to take my pick from.
Someone's bound to tell me the propper way of doing it - but WTH it works for me.

Ken

If you really mess the settings up, locate the "Reset" or "Factory Preset" (or similar) in the menus and execute the command - this should always bring the camera (and a lot of other equipment) back to the way it worked right out of the box.

Ken - it depends on the camera, but most of them got several auto focus modes (the way the camera analyses what it sees), so try the other modes to fin one that suits you ... ;)

Back