Diana-Mite Boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamboatmodel

Reaction score
Back in the 1980s Bay-Com offered a Launch Kit with a engine and boiler in a fiberglass hull. Has anyone had any experience with this engine and boiler?
Regards,
Gerald.

I think that was the one that called it "Nifty Nine Tube Boiler" I built a 9 tube boiler, mostly following those plans, and it did not steam well. I have often considered drilling between the tubes and adding more, but I cant face trying to silver solder between tube, since I suspect Ill melt as much old work as I make new.

I am hoping to finish a boiler for a model steam boat in time for Cabin Fever in January. I have the boat mostly done, the engine, a Ray Hasbrouck #7, almost done. I have the 9 tube boiler and a new water tube type. Whats left is all the details of installing and interconnections.

I have a fiberglass hull that I think is one of the Baycom hulls. I bought it form a guy in my model boat club, but he found it in a flea market and had idea where it came from. It had a fiberglass deck, which I threw out, and made a Spanish cedar deck, brightly finished.

Gerald,
I have the plans for that boiler, or it's predecessor, because once upon a time I was to have a commission to build a couple. I haven't pulled them out in a long time but a quick check of the original design (Bill Weaver 1980) shows a lot more than nine flues, 126 to be exact. I have always thought that was way too many, but I think nine is far too few. Did someone along the line decide to make it an easier build by reducing the number of flues?

The Boiler I have been asked to work on has 126 tubes. It came with the plans and looks complete, but I am not too sure about the safeties on them, they are of the weight type. I think I can make up a burner for it, but I am wondering if it needs a feed pump. I will try to post photos later.
Regards,
Gerald.

Back