Diamond compound

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are builders who say diamond compound should never be used. Then there are builders who say it is fine as long as the lap is made from a softer metal than the bore.

If diamond compound is so bad, why is it so readily available and seems to be, at times, all you can find?

What would be the proper use for the diamond compound be?

steve i have been told not to use diamond paste ............ but i never listen to what i'm told :big: :big:

i have never had any problem with using diamond paste.
i use a brass expanding barrel lap

lap1.jpg

and when i'm done i just wash the bore out with varsol or lacquer thinner. i have used this method for the last 15 years and all my engines are fine.

chuck

chuck foster said:
i have never had any problem with using diamond paste.
i use a brass expanding barrel lap

I have heard that a few times from others. I used the same lap on the peewee only the blind hole type.

I guess it just strikes me funny that there are so many diamond compounds out there and nobody likes to use them.

Thank you

Diamond doesn't give up. Lapping compound will break down as it dulls, diamond will keep cutting and so needs to be completely removed.

Diamond compound is used mostly in polishing, however I have used it for lapping carbide. I think that if you are careful to use a lap softer than the material you are lapping, and be sure to clean all the compound up after you're done, you will be ok.

With all the purpose made lapping compound that's available, I think I'll just continue using it. I have some 600 grit and 900 grit if I need it. I also have some fine diamond left over from work, never opened the jar.

Kevin

I use diamond compound. I normally use barrel laps like those shown by Aeromotor8 in his post. There are a few precautions that you should take, but these apply to most other compounds also.

1. Charge the lap by rolling it over a hardened steel surface that will force the diamond into the lap. Then remove the excess compound and use oil on the lap during lapping.

2. The lap must be considerably softer than the part being lapped.

3. If you use a roughing and finishing compound, use a separate lap for each. You can buy extra barrels for the laps above. Mark the barrel with the grade of compound you have charged it with.

4. Clean the part completely and throughly before test fitting with a mating part. I do a solvent rinse followed by detergent and hot water with a test tube brush or bottle brush. One well known model builder, whose name I can't remember, advocates using an ultrasonic cleaner as a final step, but that is probably overkill.

My personal opinion is that I don't think that diamond is any worse than other hard abrasives about imbeding in the work surface. Silicon carbide is so hard compared to metal that whatever problem you might have with diamond you will have with it.

There is a family of compounds that are marketed under the name Timesaver. They are made by Microsurface Corporation.
Web site is www.ws2coating.com
These compounds break down rapidly and are marketed as "Timesaver compound will not imbed into any metal surface and will not continue to cut."

Gail in NM,USA

I used Diamond lap on my Mills build and it was recommended to be used by Ron Chernich (his plans were published in Model Engine Builder)and he seems to be a pretty knowledgeable guy. I didn't notice any major problems when using it.....

Back