Designing steam engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've drawn up and printed enough parts for a mock-up of one cylinder, piston, , crank disk, and flywheel to prove the design concept. I also machined a short version of the axle, one cylinder pivot pin, one piston rod, and one crank pin. I laid out the crank and trunion axle locations on a scrap of aluminum and drilled the holes to mount the Cylinder and axle.

First decide on a style of engine, horizontal,vertical, simple, double acting or oscillator. Next figure what bore and stroke you want then work from there. It's hard to give exact dimensions for everything otherwise we would be designing the engine. If you have a lot of reference material just use what someone else has already created.
gbritnell
I would have said "decide what power you want" which of course dictates the volume of the cylinder X the pressure X CPM (cycles per min.), and then said what you said.

https://books.google.com/books?id=gDwxAQAAMAAJ&pg=PR1&lpg=PR1&dq=r.m.+de+vignier&source=bl&ots=OTZfG6sis8&sig=5_aFBwlKb6yWsfBCBjlMYlmqN4c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwja4rvFkerbAhUJjq0KHaweAhkQ6AEIOjAF#v=onepage&q=r.m. de vignier&f=false

Found the R. M. de Vignier book at the above address, link there to .pdf download. Found by searching on Google for R.M. deVignier.
I have read the copy I downloaded, and my head is swimming from all the info I found. Thanks Tim for posting the link that got me looking for that reference.
I will re-read this book several times and refer to it often.
I found a comment on the Google Books page for this book that the copy ended at page 81 while the index says there is another chapter starting on page 87, and indeed it does end at page 81!
Tim, or anyone else that may have a copy of this book, does your copy have the missing pages? May I get a copy of them from you?
The information presented in the book is fantastic, but brings further questions. Are the timing, power, and other calculations described for vertical and horizontal slide valve and piston valve engines pertain equally to oscillating engines? The missing chapter has info pertaining to ports, patterns and such. I would very much like to get the missing pages.
I will invariably be asking more questions, as I think this book has given me enough information to at least know what questions to ask.

When I go there I cant see any pdf link , infact it states that no ebook is available

After a bit of link manipulation i can find the link for the PDF, however there is a re-direct on the link. It goes to the page i believe Richard, Don, and myself have seen.
This is the links page Here but even from there its on a redirect.

Jon

I made a parametric drawing in Freecad of an oscillating steam engine. If I change a dimension, all the others follow suit accordingly.

Attachments

• oscportblock.jpg
    oscportblock.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 299
I have had no sucess getting to book of RM de Vignier with the link
No , I still dont have it either . Could someone who has it be good enough to upload it to the files section so we can all find it ?

Back