Design of oscillating steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerbob

Reaction score
Good day folks
I would like to design a oscillating steam engine.
I am looking for reference material (books videos etc) to aid in the design
I am envisioning an engine with 1" bore and 2 to 3" stroke operating on compressed air
Need info on bore to stroke ratio; port dias; and oscillating angle
Any help welcomed
Bikerbob

B,

The main problem with such a long stroke engine is that your crankshaft throw will be have to be rather large. Over 3" diameter for a 3" stroke

1.5" to 2" would be about the maximum you should try for.

Once you have the stroke length, then you can sit down and work out where the port positions should be just by bits of paper and a pen. For an engine that size, 1/8" diameter should be the maximum port size, in fact 3/32" would be more sensible.

John

B,

The main problem with such a long stroke engine is that your crankshaft throw will be have to be rather large. Over 3" diameter for a 3" stroke

1.5" to 2" would be about the maximum you should try for.

Once you have the stroke length, then you can sit down and work out where the port positions should be just by bits of paper and a pen. For an engine that size, 1/8" diameter should be the maximum port size, in fact 3/32" would be more sensible.

John

Thanks for the info
I have redesigned the cylinder for a 2" stroke and 3/32 dia ports
now to start looking for material
bikerbob

Look for one of the oscillating engines designed by Elmer Verburg. He designed many oscillating engines, and plans for most of them can be found as a free download on the JohnTom site. The porting is dictated by the arc that the cylinder swings thru as the crankshaft revolves.
http://john-tom.com/

Look for one of the oscillating engines designed by Elmer Verburg. He designed many oscillating engines, and plans for most of them can be found as a free download on the JohnTom site. The porting is dictated by the arc that the cylinder swings thru as the crankshaft revolves.
http://john-tom.com/

Thanks for the web site; will check it out
Bikerbob

Latest posts

Back