Demagnetisers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi2

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm plagued at the moment with magnetised tools - yes I've been playing with magnets. The most annoying is my magnetic vernier calipers.
I thought I'd have to fork out for a mains powered demagnetiser but I came across an ad for one based on permanent magnets (see picture), which are really cheap.
Has anyone tried them? Do they work?

Regards,
Alan C.

demag.jpg

I bought one and had no success whatsoever. Others may. I have two mechanical magnetic tables and one electric magnetic chuck. All work.
However, I bought a little professional one at a clock and watch sale and that is superb. The steel/iron filings simply drop from the tools after the button is pressed.

Two alternatives have to be suggested. I've used them but not made them.
The first is the windings from a defunct electric motor and the object drawn through whilst the coil was energised. The second was a gutted central heating water pump- with a flat plate on which the bits vibrated. No, I haven't a minute clue about how it was done. The guy that did it was a submarine engineer who could build anything out of anything. For a model engineering exhibition he made a model of a wife chasing a husband who was chasing a dog which stopped beside a palm tree to have a pee. The palm tree tipped over- and the coconuts peed on the dog.

I miss him!

I got the cheapest mains powered one off eBay. Looks really cheap and nasty, but does the job satisfactorily on small tools. About the same size as the one in your picture.

Should have said that it does not have a hole, just wipe the tools across the flat plastic top while it is switched on.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Last edited:
This is the Demagnetizers I have use for over 40 years still works great today.

0918001-23.jpg
/

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09180019

Hi all,

I'm plagued at the moment with magnetised tools - yes I've been playing with magnets. The most annoying is my magnetic vernier calipers.
I thought I'd have to fork out for a mains powered demagnetiser but I came across an ad for one based on permanent magnets (see picture), which are really cheap.
Has anyone tried them? Do they work?

Regards,
Alan C.

I have the same exact one as smith door shows but only gave $30 or $40 dollars for it new. It has worked great to demag things off the surface grinder for years. I'm pretty sure you can still get them for under $40 with a little shopping.

I think I paid $30.00 it has gone up in price over the years

Dave

I have the same exact one as smith door shows but only gave $30 or $40 dollars for it new. It has worked great to demag things off the surface grinder for years. I'm pretty sure you can still get them for under $40 with a little shopping.

i have a plastic one like in the first pic and it works. you have to run the tool along the stepped part in order to demagnitize it. it sort if simulates AC field when the tool bounces down the stairs.

Thanks all.

MCRIPPPer not withstanding, the general feeling I get is that the permanent magnet gizmos don't work too well.
I have found a mains powered one for about $30 so I have bought it.

Regards,
Alan C.

the permanent magnet one does work ok. im not sure how well it gets rid of 100% of the magnetism. i was able to quickly magnetize a screwdriver and then demagnetize it to the point where i could not feel it sticking to things. only takes about 2 seconds to magnetize or demagnetize. im guessing an electrical one would be best for getting rid of the most magnetism though.

Back