D ogs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Jerry

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I know I have mentioned my dog "Pearl" before and there is a thread somewhere but I can't find it. I'm having a problem with Pearl and I know a lot of you guys have shop dogs so may you can give me some advice.

Here's Pearl "The Wonder Dog"

BRZZZZZZ.jpg

Pearl is a great dog with a lot of heart. She is afraid of almost nothing. She spends her days waiting for me outside the shop, guarding me with her life. She is fears no man nor beast . . . unless the man or beast is shooting a gun or hurling thunderbolts.

I live in the country where people go out in their yards and fire their shotguns, rifles, or cannons, whenever they please and for no apparent reason. Its getting into summer and Florida is the lightning strike capital of the U.S.A. Either will turn her into a quivering puppy and she bursts into the shop, looking for a place to hide. I don't mind her coming in. I'm glad to have her but th_rulze th_rulze "ALL VISITORS MUST WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!

Where can I get doggie safety glasses and how do I get her to wear them?

Jerry

Jerry,

My dog Max is the same way. We also live out in a area where to some folks happiness is a warm gun.

DSC00123.jpg

How about a clear shower curtain he can stay behind while in the shop?

-Trout

Jerry, maybe your vet will know about dog goggles. I know they are available in some form, 'cause I've seen a couple of dogs on motorcycles, (with a human driving). Those dogs had goggles.

Also, concerning thunder, my sis had a dog that was afraid of it, and of fireworks on the Fourth. She got tranquilizers from our vet. That problem is pretty common. One pill and her dog would be quite happy during thunder storms and fireworks. Her dog still acted fine, just chilled out. It really helped her cope.

Good luck to you and your friend!

Dean

Trout

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll have to give it a try but I'll have to find a black shower curtain. She likes it dark when she's hiding!

Nice looking dog you got there. Is every body else's dog named "Max" on this forum?

Jerry

I don't have any dogs, but do remember when Doggles came out !

We are famous for Doggles goggles for dogs - the first and only
eye protection designed and created just for dogs! Seen on CNN,
Regis and Kelly, The Today Show, Good Morning America and many
others, they are quite a hit with everyone who has tried them!

http://www.doggles.com/

Certainly looks like a FUN company !! :big:

Mike

Mike

I checked with the "Doggles" people and their eye wear is not safety rated. I explained the problem and the said they might look into it.

With that out of the way, we move onto rule #2. Can anyone suggest a source for doggie steel toed shoes?

Jerry

Captain Jerry said:
Can anyone suggest a source for doggie steel toed shoes?

Don't forget an apron to keep the swarf out of her coat.

If a bomb went off in my yard I think Crusoe would think it's playing. He could care less if its thundering like crazy.

crusoe being lazy.jpg

My english mastiff, and constant companion "Judge (AKA Dogzilla)"
will whine and scratch at the door if he's kept out of the shop.
Somes when I'm grinding, or welding he has to stay away. He's beside him self when I finally come in, or let him into the shop. Reminds me of the story about locking your wife, and dog in the car trunk for an hour. Which one will be happy to see you when you open up the trunk? :eek:
Judge is happy just to lay down in a corner of the shop. I have some HF rubber floor mats for him.

zzz dogzilla super.jpg

Back in the 1970's and 80's, I had a Lab Shepherd mix that was so freaked by fireworks that I would have to keep him sedated from July 2 through the 4th. If he was in the yard, he would rip through screen doors or windows to get in. Several times I got calls from neighbors who had left their car windows open saying "Could you come and get your dog out of my car? I can't get him to budge!" Other than that, he was an excellent dog, so I kept him. When he died, I memorized this Ogden Nash poem that you guys might like:

On a Good Dog

My little dog ten years ago
was arrogant and spry,
Her backbone was a bended bow
for arrows in her eye.
Her step was proud, her bark was loud,
her nose was in the sky,
But she was ten years younger then,
And so, by God, was I.

Small birds on stilts along the beach
rose up with piping cry.
And as they rose beyond her reach
I thought to see her fly.
If natural law refused her wings,
that law she would defy,
for she could do unheard-of things,
and so, at times, could I.

Ten years ago she split the air
to seize what she could spy;
Tonight she bumps against a chair,
betrayed by milky eye!
She seems to pant, Time's up, time's up!
My little dog must die,
And lie in dust with Hector's pup;
So, presently, must I.

I used to have a problem with my dog and fireworks, tried pills but I found the best way was to put her in the basement and turn up some classic rock & roll radio station. Now she just lies down there listening to the tunes!

IronHorse

I read the poem to Pearl. She cried. She will outlive me.

I have a friend that's a competition shooter and also keeper of a Rhodesian Ridgeback that he takes to the range. He got doggles for the dog to keep any lead splatter out of his eyes (and earplugs for the noise), but the dog didn't like wearing them and kept taking them off, so he had to be trained to stay back with the car.

Im away often and my daughter looks after my lil Aussie Terrier dawg Vespa (she thinks my daughter is her owner and so does my daughter!)... My daughter also has a snake called Isis and they DONT get along... check out this vid on my daughters facebook site. Poor Vespa.

Rob

[ame]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=451577786832[/ame]

Or here if that didnt work...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRLRFTtWOco[/ame]

Latest posts

Back