Passing the torch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
Some days I really want to get some stuff accomplished, but can't get it done because of the "help". It is sometimes hard to keep from being frustrated and short tempered, but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter.

100_0357.jpg

Meet my apprentice. He is my little buddy, and wants to do everything that I do, period. It is sometimes hard being a role model for such an impressionable little one! He picks up on every little detail, phrase, and just when you think he isn't looking, watch out, because he is and will remember!

"No" is not an acceptable answer for him, and he has a memory like a steel trap. If you tell him you will let him do something, you had better let him have his turn, or the monster will awaken. He's very independent, even for a three year old!

I let him come out to the shop when I have the opportunity to keep a close watch on him, and he likes to do things out there. Give him a hammer and an anvil, and he'll turn it into metal tooth picks (or at least give one heck of a try). Chips on the floor don't have a chance with him around, as he'll grab the shop vac and start sucking them up. He likes to put nuts on bolts, and knows how to use wrenches to tighten them up. He also can air up tires.

This little guy also knows what the handles are for on the milling machine. And if one weren't careful, he'll help you on your cut. Usually in the opposite axis!

There are rules for him to be out in the shop. Hard soled shoes, long pants, shirt, and safety glasses are to be put on before he can come out and see what is happening. The other rule is I have to be present, and not working on a particular item for the period of time he is out there. I practice what I preach to him as I wear my safety glasses religiously out there. He knows, and he'll come to me with his stuff on and ask to go to the shop.

My intention is to pass my knowledge on to him. He is a welcome visitor to my shop anytime (unless it is past bedtime). I let him try and do more things than he should be allowed to do, but I keep the things he does as safe as possible. My machinery has disconnect switches, and I keep them in the 'off' position when I am not at them, just in case he sneaks out while I am not watching him. He knows what things are for, knows how to turn the machines on and off (not the disconnects!), and knows where the tools are supposed to be.

In just a short period of time, he and I will start doing projects together. Time sure does fly when they are young! I hope that I don't loose him to video games, text messaging, and what ever else the kids do these days! He is his own person, and the choices he makes will be supported, even if I have a hard time swallowing them. You can guide them how you like, but they may not do as one wishes, so for now, I am really enjoying the time we have together and watching him grow and learn. It is a great thing!

Actually, in a lot of ways, I am his apprentice!!

Awesome!

My seven year old just isn't interested in the stuff I am. He is all about his video games. Unfortunately he does not live with me, so he is not under my influence. His mom would rather have him sit quiet and play his PSP or nintendo or whatever.

The good news is we have one on the way. Due at the beginning of march. And fortunately for me my wife has a lot of the same interests as I do. So no video games, instead it will be kung-fu and dirt bikes!

Teach him well WarEagle!

Eric

Teach him while he is young seems like once they get to be 18 they are harder to teach because they suddenly know everthing LOL DAMHIKT.
Tin

Tin,
I think that it is a lot younger than that now.

Wareagle
What a wonderful sight, maybe another model engineer in the making.

John

I like the safety gear.

A little lesson like that of what comes FIRST in a home shop
will stick for a lifetime. A+ to the Teacher!!!!

Get him interested now and plan to provide him with a good
education.
(That way he will grow up to get a good paying job, and will know
EXACTLY what to buy his Dad for gifts with that extravagant income)
;)

That is a priceless picture to say the least!!!

Rick

Thanks for all of the kind words! I am sure that we'll share some great times in the shop. Hopefully it will be enough to keep him doing the right things in life and staying away from the bad elements out there. Challenges lay ahead, but if there is a strong band between he and I, then maybe I can steer him around some of the mistakes I made growing up! Fingers are crossed!

Brass_machine, best wishes with the new arrival. I hope all goes well for baby and mommy! Be careful with the Kung FU, they learn quick, and it can come back to haunt. ;)

I leave it with another of my favorites of my son helping me out.

DSCN0794.jpg

Latest posts

Back