D day

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mecanotrain

Reaction score
June 6, France remembers. Never forget !!
I thought for ALL of these young soldiers who died for FREEDOM

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon a great crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers in arms on other fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.
Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened, he will fight savagely.
But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man to man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our home fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to victory!
I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!
Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.
-- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thank you to all Veterans for your service. "G"

I tearfully watch the documentaries and the TV specials that are always shown at this time, which commemorate the incredible sacrifices these young men made in the name of freedom. Most were just kids, most looked forward to a long happy life...to falling in love...starting families... All of them were scared, but they did what they were told, because they knew they were liberating the world of a demonic enemy to human life. The Nazis had to be crushed.

Nine thousand lives were lost in one day.

My heart and prayers go out to all those who sacrificed their lives in the service of their country, and, to their surviving families.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
To any D Day vets on here or anywhere, Thank you! You've done things that make us younger vets jealous and thankful all at the same time and are true heroes in every sense of the word! -Brandon

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies chaps but I was in hospital with a Goldstar daughter whose Goldstar father was just one of the Forgotten Burma Star vets. She married one of us- quite right?

So on D-Day+60 my own RAF cap badge went onto the beaches on the sling bag which was unofficial uniform wear for all Women's Auxiliary Air Force 'ladies'. She was a Fighter Controller and took her old man back- for the last time. We of slightly younger vintage thought 'That was it', chucked a few quid into an envelope to be spent on booze by the survivors that made it back. Nice letter of Thank You- and all that.
Not so 5 out of 200 'really old boys' survive. The Good News is that they are going to make 'D-Day+70' next year and going back -onto to the beaches.
It would seem that my old friend, a 94 year old - far from peppery old colonel will lead- from the front---again.
It's almost in keeping because Colonel Alex Johnson is an old Royal Engineer. Built bridges -like my RE dad and was a shag corporal like me when he led his lads on that early jaunt- called 'Dunkirk'

Thought that you might be interested.

Norman

Note:

Comment # 4 was very heavily edited by forum moderators because of "political content".

What you read above, was not my original posting, which expressed some very pithy comments on the state of both Europe and The United States today, 69 years after D-Day. I contrasted the idealistic goals of the Normandy Invasion to the present day situation, that cripples both Europe, England, and the USA. I cannot write or explain any more about what was edited out, or this too, will be edited. My abject digust for what the United States has become in less than 69 years, is both, boundless, and virtually, inexpressible. I'll say no more.

Frank

Latest posts

Back