Cyclone Dust Collector for your milling machine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugnut

Reaction score
Way back in Nov, I made post about “Corian” and was reminded by Tin Falcon to wet sand and Wear a dust respirator and use a shop vac or dust collector to suck the chips off the tooling´ The stuff is really irritating to your nose and lungs.
Today while surfing the Internet I took a peek at one of my favorite web pages that of MR. ISHIMURA in Japan. He has one of the best collections of home shop built tools I know of.
His latest addition is a small Cyclone Dust Collector he has built and uses it to collect dust and swarf from his milling machine. He has posted the photos of his build and looks like a useful thing to have. Here is a link to his site. http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/index-e.html
Happy and Safe chip making
Mel

Thats a really good site. Thanks for posting it! I just found more stuff I want to make.
Tim

I am looking for an alternative to a height gauge that a) does not cost a fortune. b) is metric.

Like all good engineers we like to use metric in Australia ;) this is both a benefit and a pitfall ( considering the availability of cheap inch dial height gauges on ebay).

electronic gauges can do both metric/inch, only one I can see from a local dealer is ludicrously expensive. ($295 AU) I'm sure I've seen that particular one on ebay for $60us ( unfortunately the postage is a killer).

-I found in this one:
http://www.wixey.com/heightgauge/index.html
does anyone use that specific brand, I know it's designed for setting saw blade height, but would it be useful to use on a flat surface to layout/scribe? it's not all that tall, it looks like an okay size though. only thing I could tell from the picture is perhaps the tip is not designed for scribing?

-I'm a little confused about the difference in terms of usage of a height gauge & a scribing block/surface gauge (those small height adjustable scribe needles). I'm sure I have seen people who use both, but I would have thought if you had a high gauge you really could do without a scribing block.

-I have read that hobbyists should be able to achieve 0.1mm with a few measuring tools. I wonder if I could achieve that with a small height gauge and a sheet of glass. (yes' and granite plates are also unavailable at any reasonable price in Australia)

Ryan

Back