Compressor learning curve

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

student123

Reaction score
Sorry if this sounds laboured , but here I go climbing the compressor learning curve…

I just bought a compressor, to test my "easy build" wobbler
Not knowing anything much about what to buy , I copied from John's website:

http://start-model-engineering.co.uk/machines-and-tooling/air-compressor/

and as recommeded go to 'everything airbrush' & got a model AS-09 airbrush compressor along with a hose (female connector both ends).

img1986.jpg

As an aside, I was considering a 'on demand' airbrush compressor - the guy at the shop said not suitable , get a diaphram type

I read the (fairly brief) instructions
When I get it out of the box theres two possible output sections , one capped with a white plastic cap[on left in photo - call it output A], one with what looks like a female connctor & a nut [output B]

img1987mj.jpg

"OK ..maybe I take the nut off B to reveal a male connector" - nope , instead inside theres a spring , so I quickly tighten the nut back up

then I look back on Johns website & see:
'http://start-model-engineering.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/p1000443.jpg

Ok so now I know where the hose goes - on A

here are two info plates on the compressor

img1985l.jpg

and

img1988a.jpg

I then check the internet for a detailed guide but cant find one.

Some questions:
1. In the picture from John's website whats the glass/plastic cylinder thing on the left connected to the compressor ?
2. whatever it is , is it essential ? (Guy at the shop didn’t mention any essential extras needed)

3. on the compressor it says "exclusively for use with a bleeder type pneumatic tool". Umm… whats one of them ? (able to loose off excess air ??)
4. Are there any "non bleeder" type pneumatic tools or applications (that I'm likely to encounter) I cant use my new compressor with? - ie are there restrictions I need to be aware of?

5. On one plate "after each use release pressure in airlines and receiver tank" - where is the receiver tank & how do I release it's pressure ?

6. On plate : "drain moisture trap after each use" - I cant see anything that looks like a moisture trap , where is it ?

7. In the instructions "Do not touch the hot parts…do not touch the discharge line..." - which is the discharge line. (Output B ? - if yes am I supposed to connect a 2nd hose line to that for discharging purposes?)

8. How do I regulate the psi output ? (my guess is loosen connector on B to reduce air output from A )

(Bit tempted just switch it on & see what happens).

Anyway, thanks in advance,

Mike

Some questions:
1. In the picture from John's website whats the glass/plastic cylinder thing on the left connected to the compressor ?
2. whatever it is , is it essential ? (Guy at the shop didn’t mention any essential extras needed)

3. on the compressor it says "exclusively for use with a bleeder type pneumatic tool". Umm… whats one of them ? (able to loose off excess air ??)
4. Are there any "non bleeder" type pneumatic tools or applications (that I'm likely to encounter) I cant use my new compressor with? - ie are there restrictions I need to be aware of?

5. On one plate "after each use release pressure in airlines and receiver tank" - where is the receiver tank & how do I release it's pressure ?

6. On plate : "drain moisture trap after each use" - I cant see anything that looks like a moisture trap , where is it ?

7. In the instructions "Do not touch the hot parts…do not touch the discharge line..." - which is the discharge line. (Output B ? - if yes am I supposed to connect a 2nd hose line to that for discharging purposes?)

8. How do I regulate the psi output ? (my guess is loosen connector on B to reduce air output from A )

1. That should be a moisture trap.
2. You may not need one if the compresser is used just for little engines. Iron and steel may rust though. Paint in an airbrush will either be thinned or contanimated without one. If you choose to operate some kind of air tool it may be damaged by the moisture.
3. Bleeder type tools do not block the flow of air from the compresser, even when not working. That kind of compresser likes to keep the air flowing.
4. If you connect the compresser to an engine and the engine isn't working, it is a "non-bleeder type tool" (probably). Hand spin to get it working fairly quickly if possible.
5. It doesn't look like you have a receiver tank, just the diaphragm assembly and motor.
6. Hmm. The missing glass thingy should be the moisture trap.
7. Probably the diaphragm on top of the motor will get hot. With the pump connected to a little steam engine and all running, unplug the motor. The pressure will discharge through the steam engine.
8. Look at http://www.everythingairbrush.com/acatalog/Regulators.html where the second main item down seems to be just what you are looking for. Not only that but it has a gauge that should be useful to you. You may want to contact the compresser company, but it looks to me like with that regulator you could have a non-bleeding device downstream with no problem.

Alan,

Thanks for the detailed & quick reply.
Off to press the on switch...

Mike

Latest posts

Back